I've been on a diet for a few weeks and I have lost about 7 pounds. I eat pretty much whatever I want, but I do limit myself to 1500 calories a day. I'm not starving myself and it feels right for me. I don't eat a lot of meat and I was wondering if protein shakes would be good for my diet? Do they do any harm to the body? Just would like to know about them.

Personally, I think that over the counter protein supplements are suspect. Some of the aminos within may be created in a laboratory environment and not possess the molecular shapes our bodies really need to use.

I suggest that you force feed yourself lean meats (fish, chicken, turkey) and soy and beans and non-fat dairy products - 20 - 30 % of your caloric intake, say 300 calories per day.

You will feel better and your body will receive a more full array of vitamins and minerals that our metabolic processes have been designed to manage for eons.

I like soy milk and edamame. A little chocolate soy milk makes for a good desert every now and again.

You didn't ask, but I will add that at your age it is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure you get plenty of calcium and magnesium. Since you are on a diet, you risk depleting your bones of stores of these minerals - which in not too many years will be harder to add to your bones.

7 lbs is a lot. Congratulations! I know you feel good. I heard that 1 pound per week is a good pace that is easy to keep off, once off.

Good luck!

I've been on a diet for a few weeks and I have lost about 7 pounds. I eat pretty much whatever I want, but I do limit myself to 1500 calories a day. I'm not starving myself and it feels right for me. I don't eat a lot of meat and I was wondering if protein shakes would be good for my diet? Do they do any harm to the body? Just would like to know about them.

No.

Here's why:

Protein shakes usually contain Protein, Carbs, and sometimes fat. They're usually for people who workout and/or lift, because the extra protein is needed after workouts and the carbs help carry the proteins to the muscle.

To lose weight:

1.) You should drink a lot of water throughout the whole day.

2.) Limit your caloric intake which I see that you're doing

3.) Spread out your meals to 6 times a day. Eating large meals at once will create fat even if you're limiting your daily intake. You gotta spread it out.

4.) Eat some lean meats. Skinless chicken, tuna, salmon, Mahi Mahi,etc.

If you limit calories, do a little cardio, you'll be gold. Do take some vitamins and fiber in your diet too.

Calculate how much protein you get a day. If you think you need more protein and don't want to eat the extra meat, nuts, or dairy, just buy some soy protein from your local vitamin shop or health food store.