Valentines Day - Am I alone on this?

And in that case, we wouldn't be incompatible because he doesn't like V-Day, we'd be incompatible because he'd rather take a stand as a matter of principle, with complete disregard for my feelings. That's the issue. And, for the record, I'd dump him for the same lack of consideration V-Day aside.

Isn't that what you are doing? You would rather take a stand about your VDay beliefs rather than alter to for his feelings.

I also think that it's sweet that you and your girlfriend simply express yourselves in different ways.

Could you post a picture of you and your girlfriend hugging?

We don't have a digital camera, so the only good pictures of us together are 35 mm. I'll see about scanning them somehow. My favorites are the kissing pictures.

I've never celebrated myself either, other than sending e-cards to my single friends. But I fail to see why you're so upset. Do you get this upset at every holiday? Or do you have a problem with little, red hearts? Companies go all out on holidays.. whether it's Christmas, Halloween, V-day.. It gets more and more rediculous every year. But I think it's nice to have one day in the year dedicated to romance.

If I only dedicated one day a year to romance, I'd expect my girlfriend to dump me.

Valentine's day is a corporate tool and it's probably broken up relationships because someone failed to celebrate appropriately. It's a load of crap, and it's borderline cruel.

Of course I don't get upset at every holiday. What a ridiculous question.

I won't deny that I love the idea of being given a poem/card, flowers, a diamond( ), ect. Its romantic and who doesn't want to feel adored? But when you are expecting it or hold it over someones head like they "should" do it, its no longer romantic. In my opinion anyway.

EXACTLY! Hit the nail right on the head.

I expect to be shown a nice, sweet (not necessarily expensive) Valentine's Day. I'd dump a guy who didn't, because IMO it shows INCREDIBLY bad taste especially in terms of a new relationship. Doesn't have to be fancy, doesn't have to be expensive. But it has to be personalized. A lovely walk with the dogs, a kiss, and "Happy Valentine's Day. I love you!" is all that's needed. But without that? Buh-bye.

Why? Because I feel if someone KNOWS it's at all important to me (and I have a right for it to be, just as anyone else has the right to hate it) then if he still insists on NOT celebrating for whatever reason, he isn't out to please me. A kiss and "happy V-Day" doesn't take much. If he wouldn't do that as a matter of principle, he can go be someone else's boyfriend.

If it IS an important holiday to you, I agree that your S.O. should acknowledge your feelings and make the tiny sacrifice of saying Happy Valentine's day. Not celebrating should be a mutual decision - if Valentine's day was important to my girlfriend, I would get her roses and chocolates. It just isn't that way with us. And since her birthday is only 9 days after V-day, she's not missing out. I spoil her rotten.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't see why people hate valentines day so much. its a day where you can be as corny as you want and have an excuse. theres mothers day so you can be sweet to your mom, nobody gets all mad about that, people buy their mom a gift. why not wait for her birthday, huh. well, cuz its mothers day. why do something special or purchase a box of chocolates? cuz its valentines day. a random day where everyone can do something nice for their s.o. or have a chance to tell someone their feelings with a good excuse. do something out of the ordinary thats special. and yes its a day for the card people to make a lot of money but sometimes when you find the perfect card it means a lot. i like valentines day, don't see how its that pointless. you say you love your girlfriend all the time, well some couples don't, and its a day where you are reminded of and appreciate your s.o.