Acne Question?

I am 25 years old and I did not have bad acne as a teenager, but now my face breaks out often with red bumps/blemishes and I hate them and want them to go away. They make me feel self-conscious about my looks and make me want to hide till they go away completely. I thought about ordering Proactive Solution off the internet has anybody else used it before? And if so does it work? I don't want it to dry my face up too much or be too harsh because I do sort of have sensitive skin. Any suggestions about making my acne go away or covering it up while it is here. I use make-up to cover it up but it always caked on. Thanks!

I tried proactive, it didn't work for me.

However, I went to a dermatologist and after trying some different medications he finally put me on Accutane.

ABSOLUTE MIRACLE DRUG!!!

The side effects can be harsh but depending on your condition you might not need to have a full cycle of the medication. (Surprisingly after a few months, the break outs stopped!)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Argh, not much advice to give you I'm afraid, but am waiting breath bated for any miracle solutions anyone else has! I'm exactly the same (problems from early 20s onwards), and have yet to find a cure... with me, it's definitely hormonal among other things, I always break out before my period is due. However, lack of sleep and bad diet also clearly have an effect, and at least those are things I have some control over. Is it the same for you OP?

Problem's nowhere near bad enough to get accutane prescribed though...

Yeah my acne is not bad enough to get accutane either I had a friend who had severe acne and she got on accutane and it made her face extremely dry and like snake skin. Mine is like yours hormonal and caused by stress. I am going to try this Proactive I ordered today when I comes in I will let you know how it works the 30 trial online was $19.99 might be worth looking into if it works? What brand of makeup do you wear? I use to wear Clinque and it seamed to not break out my skin but it was sort of expensive and now I just wear drug store bands. I might go back wearing Clinque even though it's more expensive it might be worth it if it helps my skin. Thanks!

Cat Lover-I have very, very, fair sensitive skin. I was on accutane about three years ago and yes it is a MIRACLE DRUG. My acne was not severe but because of my sensitive skin all of the lotions, creams etc. that the dermatologist prescribed did not work. I went on accutane because my skin was starting to scar anytime I got the smallest blemish. In the last three months my skin has started to scar again so I'm going back on accutane later this month. I've never tried the Proactive but if your skin is super sensitive like mine it may not work either. But try it and if it doesn't work I think Proactive has a refund policy. At least you can get a refund.

Accutane doesn't have that many side effects. It just depends on the dosage and how bad your acne is. My skin never peeled and I got so many compliments after my skin cleared up. It's worth the hassle and $$.

You do what you feel is right for you. I can sympathize with how you're feeling because I've been there. Don't worry you'll get through this.

also, there's a particular kind of skin condition that looks just like acne that often occurs with stress, sunlight, hormone changes, or some skin care products - it occurs mostly around the mouth and chin, and it's called peri-oral dermatitis. it appears out of nowhere and is really hard to make go away with any kind of normal face washing or acne cream. i get this sometimes, and a course of antibiotics clears it right up. your regular family doctor would know about it, too...not just dermatologists.

• Like 1

Dermatologist!! That's the best advice there is. They know what they're doing. Unfortunately, some health insurance doesn't cover those appointments but it's worth it because they are the only people who can help you. They won't give up til you have clear skin I swear. I wish I went to a dermatologist much earlier than I did.

If I were you, I'd re-examine the types of foods you eat. So many doctors or whatever say that the food you eat cannot cause acne, but I feel that's absolute BS. I normally don't break out-- but when I drink orange juice (more than 2 glasses in one day) I'll break out within a couple of days.

Also, I'd do a lot of research on Accutane before you ever even consider CONSIDERING it (if that makes any sense). Lots of scary side effects. Sure, some people can handle the drug, I'm sure, but would you take your chances with it?

Good luck. And EXFOLIATE, EXFOLIATE, EXFOLIATE!

Every night before you go to bed, get a smal towel or something and soak it in hot water, squeeze it out, and rub your face with it. It will get all of the days dirt off of your face so it can't make new blemishes on your face. It will also make your skin really smooth. Also, when you wash your face, wash with hot water, and rinse with cold. It will close up the pores in your skin for you after you cleaned it all up.