crib or toddler bed

muffin cakes

My son will turn 2 on January 5th and new baby will be here in 7 days, on next wednesday.

What I did was got him a toddler bed a few months ago. He has now been sleeping in it for three months or so. I figured this way he will be used to not using the crib, and I can use it for the new baby. They will share a room too so depends on how much space you have and how much money you want to spend.

I didnt want to have a 'fight' with the new baby needing the crib and have always heard any changes that need to be made should be made before the new arival so as to lower chances of jealousy and sibling rivalry. This is why we did the switch a few months ago.

Hope this helps.

I did the same thing as southerngirl. My daugther got a new bed in the same room as the baby crib... she was in the "big girl" bed (she's 22 months older than her brother). For the first couple of months, the baby slept in a bassinette in our room, so she got used to the baby for a while before they had to share a room.

For sure set up the new bed, whichever you choose, well before the baby so that your son won't think the baby is "taking" his bed. Its hard enough at that age to get them to understand the new dynamic!!

congrats on your new baby!

• 1 month later...