I recently met a guy in a semi-professional environment and after a little while I realized I definitely have feelings for him. However, we hardly ever see each other, and most often are in large groups together, so its hard to feel out whether or not he might be interested (i'm also shy). Completely coincidentally, we discovered that we may both be traveling to the same place halfway accross the country around the same time. I e-mailed him to ask when he would be there and if he might want to meet up. He wrote back and said sure, then gave me his cell number so we could "keep in touch."

Additionally, he is roughly 12 years older than me (but I have always been mature and acted older than I am, and often don't get along with people my own age).

Sorry this is so long, anyway I don't really have anyone to talk to right now because I just graduated from college and came back home but all my girlfriends are scattered accross the country. I guess I am wondering, could he be interested? How would I know? Did he give me his phone number just for trip planning or does he want me to call? What would I say if I called? Is there anything I can do so that we can meet up more in an informal setting, but more alone, so I can figure out what is going on?

just call him when you guys both go out of town to the same place!!! This is really not that difficult to figure out! Set up a time and place to a Sunday Afternoon is really perfect for something low key like a cup of tea! you know the drill, if there is chemistry just enjoy the date and go with the flow. have fun and don't fret. about it too much, if you like him just go for it!!