prozac....any thoughts

well......my downward spiral into depression has gotten worse. to the point i feel i need therapy. ive been told i can go to my regular doctor to get prozac prescribed. what are your guys thoughts on prozac?

did it help you control your depression and anxiety? how long have you been taking it?any side effects? problems stopping with it?

my thoughts have gotten out of control....my life is getting out of control.

i can honestly say i cannot do this alone. my ex is the reason for all this mess. her manipulating, decieveing lies have gotten me here. any advice?

anybody else feel they couldnt do it alone?

Hi hoppy,

I have many clients who take Prozac, and report wonderful results. There are a few anti-depressants out there..your Dr will tell you what is best for you. I think therapy is a great idea. Gives you an opportunity to work through the anger that you are feeling, and set you back on the right track.

I have felt totally alone to deal with issues before, but usually in the end I realize I am not alone....its just the pain making everything seem empty. Hang in there and talk to your doctor.

Hi Hoppy26,

First of all it is a good thing you felt the need and courage to admit you're depressed and in need of help.

When I started feeling abnormally sad in the past I had a lot of difficult admiting that I was clinically depressed, and the delay to seek help only brought me more sadness and discomfort.

After one year feeling this way and getting worse, I started therapy and taking antidepressants.

Now I can say for sure it is the best thing I've done for myself. I would advise you to fight depression both with therapy and medication, because it is the most effective way. Depression in not "just a biochemical imbalance" nor "a psychological weakness"or the reminiscents of a trauma or frustation in life. It is caused by both.

As for medication, I took paroxetine (Paxil), which acts more or less the same way as Prozac does, but nowadays there are newer antidepressants, with less side effects. The side effects that bothered me most were: hands shaking, sonolence, mood swings. The side effects tend to disappear with regular use. The beneficial effects start to appear within 2 weeks.

Again, it is a good thing you are willing to be cured, you deserve it. Do it for yourself.

If you have any more doubts, feel completely free to send me a message. Áll the best,

Waterlily