What internet dating sites do you use?

The first internet dating site I used was link removed. It was free to post a profile, but you could not email anyone until they emailed you first. Being a woman, I didn't have any problems getting responses. Then I found out from the men that I was dating on there that it was free for females to post profiles, but men had to pay the membership fee.

The one that I ended up using the most was link removed. I met many men on there. It was the same situation as match, though. It was free to post a profile, but cost money to email. However, their monthly membership fee was minute.

If you are worried about money have you thought of posting a profile on link removed? There's many personals on there and it's completely free. If you get any responses then you can pick and choose who to respond to.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use plentyoffish and lavalife. I pay to buy credits on lavalife and probably spent like up to $ 100.00 on it so far. It has been haphazard in experience, but I do tend to feel connections with some people, and it works out that I do meet people now and then. The reason I spend allot there is there are 'reinforcements' like every addiction. For every $ 20.00 spent on lavalife for example, I may date at least one person, and she may be a good-looking match, or a few people with one good one out of it. Usually, after a smiley campaign, I usually connect with someone, and take it from there.

Cost wise, if I were to go to speed-dating, I would have spent more money than that ($ 50.00) or something, or if I were to go on a blind-date, I would have to spend $ 50.00, and the price goes up for other matchmaking type of agencies, so meeting a half-decent prospect for every $ 20.00 invested is not a bad deal if going strickly on numbers and odds. You spend money if you go out on any other venues. But online, you are at home, and you go online whenever you want, and it's very conveniant.

Same thing with adultfriendfinder. I spent money there for a month's membership, but after the end of the month, could have had hook-ups. I didn't want to lose my virginity to a random stranger when it came down to it, at least not yet.

Obviously, if I didn't meet anyone half-decent from the dating sites, then I wouldn't be paying money into them, further than their initial membership fee or trial, but since there are reinforcements, I have a sort of online thing now for some of these paid sites. They are efficient, clean, you dont have to go out of your way to meet people, and can do so at the comfort of your own home.

You have a totally different life, then go online to look for adventure or a fantasy, so in a sense I look at it like fun. I'm an average guy, so I dont get lots of attention, but I compensate for it by being creative with my profile expression and pics and aggressively following up with any half-decent lead.

It also helps to look at it from a distance, dont take anything on it personal, and other than the money you are investing (which you determine your budget), just look at it like you are having some fun expressing yourself and seeing who bites, and that would be the right attitude to attack it.

Well.. i am glad to know of these other sites.

I've tried them myself and they seem to be a giant waste of time. Yahoo charges $20 a month just to e-mail people... and alot of the guys in my area I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, let alone on a date. .they just were NOT attractive.

I'm sorry.. i'm not shallow.. but i have to feel some spark of some kind to want to date a guy.

I went also to adultfriendfinder.. what a joke! Half the time.. all the guy wanted was some naked pics of you so he could masturbate to them....or if he was willing to set up a date. he wasn't willing to drive over 20 minutes from his house.. or if he said he was willing, he cancelled the date at the absolute last minute.

It was a bunch of crap imho.. Most of the people on that site are just people cheated on their spouses, wanting to get into threesome, meaning they are bisexual, or gay.

I actually think the gays and bisexuals did alright on that site. Myself, who is str8 and my friends who were also str8 had no luck whatsoever and we were all rather attractive, highly educated articulate people.. so that was a joke!

I really do better in person. I don't like sending off my photos to complete strangers on the web either.. You just don't know who you are dealing with.

I've not tried the craiglist or link removed though.. but I think the craiglist wouldn't be of much help in my immediate area as there's too many homosexuals in my city.. it would be too hard to find a str8 guy i would think.

I don't know. i know it's easier to sit in your living room trying to pick someone out.. but i'm shy anyway.. i don't want to post a pic str8 up on a website.. It just doesn't feel right to me.

I'm very personable in public.. but to reveal all to whomever happens to click on that particular website seems very risky to me.

I've had a lot of creeps e-mail me too.. none of them bothering to read my profile or what my relationship goals were.

They all insisted that they were "the man of my dreams"! LOL.. meanwhile all they wanted was some no strings sex or wanting me to hook up with them and their perverted gf! It was a gross experience even entering some of those sites...

There must some good ones out there.. but i haven't found them yet. Most of the guys on the sites don't seem very attractive.. but you know what?

Just cuz you are a good looking guy.. doesn't mean you will take a good picture. I did finally meet one guy and he said I was much better looking in person than the pic I sent him.. so I guess the same is true for girls also.

I think these dating sites should be free imho.. It's like asking money for air, if you ask me.. People should have a right to date other people online without it being a giant capital investment imho.

I mean after all.. with the economy and how high the cost of living is.. we don't have much time in real life to seek a companion now, do we?

dont use any ayy .. you dont need them you alwyas find crap un genuine fakes on there that are jsut looking for some casual sex look around you think do you really need someone are you happy ?? or is it just a faize where you think you need someone but infact you are just laking company or love.. look to the people closest to you youll find you wont need it

• 2 weeks later...
I am on link removed and eharmony and have gotten good matches. Stay away from the free ones, anyone can put a profile on there as a joke, at least with the paid ones you know they are more serious because they paid...

I have done the paid ones before like link removed, link removed, link removed. I was on them for about a year and never gotten responses back or met any girls..Online dating doesn't work for me at all.

Update- I am on plentyoffish, matchdoctor, adultmatchdoctor and have gotten quite a few responses on them allready! My luck has changed. Keep trying everyone, it will happen! (allthough it does not wqork for everyone).

I have met a few nice people online before and relationships for a few months. I then had to stop and think about what I wanted in a relationship and think about some other things. I have gained a lot of confidence in the last few months. Girls can smell desperation a mile away, whether online or offline. Just put a profile up, reply to some ads, dont be repetative in the profile and keep it short, and you should get some responses. and big thing- dont worry about it! just let it happen.

My own experiences.

Update- I am on plentyoffish, matchdoctor, adultmatchdoctor and have gotten quite a few responses on them allready! My luck has changed. Keep trying everyone, it will happen! (allthough it does not wqork for everyone).

I have met a few nice people online before and relationships for a few months. I then had to stop and think about what I wanted in a relationship and think about some other things. I have gained a lot of confidence in the last few months. Girls can smell desperation a mile away, whether online or offline. Just put a profile up, reply to some ads, dont be repetative in the profile and keep it short, and you should get some responses. and big thing- dont worry about it! just let it happen.

My own experiences.

Lucky you that you get responses! But I am still trying. I am also on plentyoffish, hotornot and link removed..Nothing yet..Hopefully in 2007 I will get some responses

I agree with buildafire. I am on eharmony, POF, link removed (to chat with friends I allready have), eharmony, perfectmatch and craigslist, matchdoctor, adultmatchdoctor. Perfectmatch has been good, craigslist, matchdoctor, adultmatchdoctor good. Eharmony is good, but not getting a lot of matches now so will problly delete it.

Have tried lavalife, yahoo personals, adultfriendfinder, some free ones too, not enough matches on them so thats why I am not on them right now.

My advice- try them all (all are free to post a profile- some have tp pay to reply/send mail) and boil it down to 3-4. Also matchmaking services are good and through friends is good/work/.school is good. I have had very good luck with all of these.

But yea just try everything. I am hoping to meet someone when i am out shopping or something sometime (hasnt happened yet!)

Lucky you that you get responses! But I am still trying. I am also on plentyoffish, hotornot and link removed..Nothing yet..Hopefully in 2007 I will get some responses

Have you changed your profile? Any friends you know that know someone? Any clubs you can join? matchmaking services? Tried perfectmatch/matchdoctor/adultmatchdoctor? Are you way out in the country- willing to drive a distance?

this is my profile on link removed.

Georgia on my mind- title

about myself:

Hi. My name is Josh. 25 yrs old. Black hair, brown eyes, 6 foot 3, 170 lbs, athletic. I enjoy cooking, outdoor activities, traveling, great conversations. I like classic rock and country music, action and comedy movies. I graduated college with an associates degree in computer repair/network systems administrator. I am currently working in the computer field fixing/repairing computers. Currently living at home saving up for my own house.

willing to relocate: No

marital status: Single

seeking relationship: Casual dating, Friendship, Long term relationship, "Intimate" activities

looking for a match: within 100 miles of Cumming, Georgia United States

Appearance

eyes: Brown

hair: Black

hairstyles: Above the ears

body type: Athletic / Toned

height: 6'4 (193cm)

weight: 170 lbs (78kg)

bodyart: None

Background

education: Associates degree

ethnicity: Caucasian

speaks: English

religion: Christian / Protestant

Lifestyle

smokes: No, don't smoke

drinks: Rarely

living status: Living with parent(s)

has children: No

wants children: Do not want children

job: Computers/IT

income: $25,001 to $35,000

Qualities

activities: Cars/motorcyles, Computers/surfing the web, Family/children, Gardening, Home improvement, Movies, Museums/arts, Music/concerts, Outdoor activities, Reading, Running/jogging, Spending time with pets, Travel, TV, Video games, Working out, Shopping

attributes: Active, Adaptable, Adventurous, Athletic/In Shape, Attractive, Caring, Family Oriented, Goal Oriented, Honest, Intelligent/Bright, Low Maintenance, Organized, Outdoorsy, Positive Attitude, Problem Solver, Respectful of Others Opinions, Self Confident, Trustworthy, Funny

my idea of a great date:

Something simple like a drive and stop and walk somewhere, picnic, georgia aquarium, things like this.

a few first emails I have sent:

Hello. My name is Josh. 25 yrs old. Black hr, brown eyes, 6 foot 3, 170 lbs, athletic. I enjoy outdoor activities, cooking, traveling, great conversations. I graduated college with an associates degree in network systems administrator.

Would love to chat sometime!

Hello. My name is Josh. 25 yrs old. Black hair, brown eyes, 6 foot 3, 170 lbs, athletic. I enjoy going out to dinner, movies, love outdoor activities, cooking. At this point I am looking to meet new people to go out and have fun with. So what kind of movies do you like? WHat kind of food do you like?

Hello. My name is Josh. 25 yrs old. Black hr, brown eyes, 6 foot 3, 170 lbs, athletic. I enjoy outdoor activities, cooking, traveling, great conversations. I am a big movie fan!

What kind of music do you like?

Basically I look at their profile and describe myself in a few sentances to get their attention and if they like movies I will ask what movies do u like, like music I will say I love music I am a big music fan, like mtn biking say I like going to... to mtn bike.

Quite simple really. Just imagine going up to someone your in class with and starting a conversation or anywhere for that matter. Same thing, just online.

And dont expect everyone to reply back. Simply means they are not interested. Dont expect- cant get hurt!

Hope this helps some of you guys out!

Have you changed your profile? Any friends you know that know someone? Any clubs you can join? matchmaking services? Tried perfectmatch/matchdoctor/adultmatchdoctor? Are you way out in the country- willing to drive a distance?

Yes I always change and update my profile...I am willing to drive the distance..I also have tried perfectmatch and matchdoctor and no luck...And adultmatchdocotor is a big joke, nothing but fake people on there! I am not in any clubs, I do play hockey and I do go running all the time..I don't have any friends with any single girls..No I am not way out in the country, I am in Illinois..suburbs of Chicago, I am running out of options and time

Yes I always change and update my profile...I am willing to drive the distance..I also have tried perfectmatch and matchdoctor and no luck...And adultmatchdocotor is a big joke, nothing but fake people on there! I am not in any clubs, I do play hockey and I do go running all the time..I don't have any friends with any single girls..No I am not way out in the country, I am in Illinois..suburbs of Chicago, I am running out of options and time

Thatrs good man. You have a lot of confidence. I am surprised you havent met one yet since you play hockey. How long were u on perfectmatch and matchdoctor? No clubs you can join or just dont have the time? Maybe a gym perhaps? Matchmaking service?

I've heard really really good things about link removed. Some fantastic reviews:

"I had a great time!!"

"It was a fun. What a nice gentleman"

"Eh, at least he wasn't gay!"

Seriously, dating sites can work, but it can be difficult to really make your personality shine through your profile. If you work at it though and just be patient and persistent, online sites can work.

Orlander

I've heard really really good things about link removed. Some fantastic reviews:

"I had a great time!!"

"It was a fun. What a nice gentleman"

"Eh, at least he wasn't gay!"

Seriously, dating sites can work, but it can be difficult to really make your personality shine through your profile. If you work at it though and just be patient and persistent, online sites can work.

Orlander

funny post. But yea I agree, Working better for me now, being patient and persistent. Worked good for me before, but working better now.

Thatrs good man. You have a lot of confidence. I am surprised you havent met one yet since you play hockey. How long were u on perfectmatch and matchdoctor? No clubs you can join or just dont have the time? Maybe a gym perhaps? Matchmaking service?

Yeah I am also surprised that I play hockey and I haven't had a gf yet. I would think playing this sport for such a long time would at least get me some girls but it hasn't happened.. Its weird that I have been playing hockey since I was 9 and not even one girl was never interested in me at all..I don't know why..Its just terrible.. I was on matchdoctor and perfectmatch for about 2 years and the weird thing is that there were a few girls on there that also that plays hockey and also has exactly the same interests as me and I got no responses back at all, I don't get it..I wish I could go to the gym, I can't afford a membership right now but I do go to the park and go running..I am not in any clubs but I will be going back to school in Jan and maybe I will join something thats interesting. I do have confidence, I can go up to a girl and talk to her but never interested in me..I work in retail and everytime I see and girl that enters the door, I am always the first one to approch her and ask if she needs any help finding anything..Its just really hard being this age and never having absolutely nothing at all with a girl even a kiss.. 2007 will be 10 yrs since I have been out of Hs and I really though by now that I would have a gf or been out on several dates but nothing at all..The years are going by to dam fast and soon I will be old..

Wow man thats crazy! I am 25 yrs old, have had 4-5 serious GF's and a few lady friends (even when I was in northern NY- not a great area to meet people, even my guy friend up there agrees). You have everything a girl wants. I am still a little shy around them at times and stuff, I am not the most confident guy but do have a lot of confidence and I am very attractive. Basically like you man.

maybe your not meeting the right ones? Maybe location is a factor? Have you tried a matchmaking agency?

Dont really know what to tell you, living in the south is better for meeting people...

POF has a profile review up in their forums as well. A lot of it is what you say in the initial email and put up in the profile.

If in doubt, make a joke! Keep the profile short but give them a taste of your sense of humor. Keep it all positive. Post a good picture. I like business casual. My response rates have been pretty good. If you can swing at least 10% responses, I think you are doing fine.

Oh. And read the profiles before you mail.

Question for everyone,

When you are talking about decent matchmaking agencies, which ones are you referring to? I am not a fan of great expectations (too pricey). But otherwise I would consider it. eharmony comes as close to an online mathmaking agency as I have found yet. My problem with them is that they don't produce enough matches and many profiles have no photo or are non-paying/fake.

Thanks, didnt know POF had that. Will have to check it out!

And I am getting responses from good people, so I am doing fine.

Matchmaking agencies- Eharmony is good, I am on it. Also perfectmatch- got quite a few matches on there! I tried great expectations- Called to ask a question and she hung up on me! And I had to call to chat with them- they were suppose to call me. So I do NOT reccomend them. Unprofessional and unorganized.

I have foiund a local one for atlanta and suberbs, might try that later on.

what ones have u guys tried?

Wow man thats crazy! I am 25 yrs old, have had 4-5 serious GF's and a few lady friends (even when I was in northern NY- not a great area to meet people, even my guy friend up there agrees). You have everything a girl wants. I am still a little shy around them at times and stuff, I am not the most confident guy but do have a lot of confidence and I am very attractive. Basically like you man.

maybe your not meeting the right ones? Maybe location is a factor? Have you tried a matchmaking agency?

Dont really know what to tell you, living in the south is better for meeting people...

I live in Illinois, not sure if thats one of the factors but it could be..I have tried a matchmaking agency called Great Expections but I didn't join it because of the outragous prices! Its really a big rip off! Id bet living in the south is better in meeting people. I been here my whole life and I never had any success in girls at all

I live in Illinois, not sure if thats one of the factors but it could be..I have tried a matchmaking agency called Great Expections but I didn't join it because of the outragous prices! Its really a big rip off! Id bet living in the south is better in meeting people. I been here my whole life and I never had any success in girls at all

Yea living here is better for everything (not just meeting people). Maybe you should consider moving to the south man.

I too tried great expectations- lets just say when I called to ask a question lady on other end hung up on me, and she didnt know how much membership was. Plus no email address to email with questions- very unprofessional and unorganized.

Dunno what else to tell you man. Try a club in school when you go back. Dont know what else to tell you.. Everything I have mentioned has worked for me (even in northern NY before I moved here) and very hard to meet people there. I have had great success living here in the atlanta area for being a northern transplant, lol.

but yea might want to consider moving tot he south. Nice weather, very nice people, lots to see and do, and winter is only 3 months of yr (one ice storm and 1-2 light snows- inch or less, little more in mtns).