Yes or No? Chat-up Lines.

Heya everyone!! I'm a newbie, so be gentle with me!

Doing a bit of research here:

I was wondering, after a long debate with mates, whether chat-up lines work?

Some guys say that they're outdated and cheesy and others say that particular lines ALWAYS work and are great to 'break the ice' with. I've always been spontaneous - but so far, it hasn't lead to anything... What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Max

hi maxpower,

to be honest, i dont like chat up lines. i think it is cheesy and pretty pathetic. i expect a guy to be himself and just come over and introduce himself. i feel this shows that he wants to genuinely get to know me and i get more interested that way.

i am not speaking for everyone but this is my personal opinion but i tend to brush off guys who use chat up lines.

leah

Hi MaxPower and welcome to eNotAlone,

I am male but I will throw in my opinion in hope it will help!

I have never used a pick-up line myself, or have I ever felt the need to. Usually just introducing myself or making light of a dull moment is usually enough to break the ice and get a conversation started. I find that most women find pick-up lines sleazy, unless they are the type to like ego boosted kind of guys.

Also click here to see my recent thread about what people's favorite pick up lines were.

PR

A line to break the ice is a crutch, to be used when you cannot properly walk into a conversation. If you know how to do it right, don't use the crutch.

More importantly, a few words in such a line is the smallest portion of what you are doing. Before the words come out of your mouth, you should have been having a conversation with her, without using words. Body language is the language of love. Pay attention to it.

My SO got me with a chat up line! Usually I wouldn't be impressed, but he got me!

What was it...

I've lost my telephone number, can I have yours?

Oh my god... I have heard that so many times... you know it is kinda funny actually that such an old pick up line can still work LoL ;-)