Well, I just did it!

RayKay,

Congratulations on stepping out of the square and getting back into study mode!

I use to work for a law firm in the CBD, boy did they have the cream of cakes for lifestyle! There are so many nice firms in the main city... You really have to have a passion to do it I guess, a lot of study involved to get there and then having to work overtime overtime just to get experience and move up in the big fast moving corporate world.

Best of luck in your new ventures,

PR

Congrats RayKay!

You are well on your way.

Another option to consider for part time work is working through the school ( work study), in the library or the computer lab. Those hours tend to be flexible and many of them allow you to read/study while you work. I know a couple of gals from my school work in the computer lab and get paid 15-16$ per hour and spend most of their time studying. It works out well for them and they get some cash as well.

Best of luck! Soon you will be where I started 2 years ago! (and the end of my tunnel is coming in December!

Oh, I know I would LOVE to do this and find an on-campus jpb. The only problem here is.....those jobs tend to be sucked up by foreign students. Until recently, foreign students were ONLY permitted to work on campus, but while that was recently dropped as the regulation, they still get priority. They are hard to come by, though I would love to get something like that - it would be ideal!

RayKay,

Congratulations on stepping out of the square and getting back into study mode!

I use to work for a law firm in the CBD, boy did they have the cream of cakes for lifestyle! There are so many nice firms in the main city... You really have to have a passion to do it I guess, a lot of study involved to get there and then having to work overtime overtime just to get experience and move up in the big fast moving corporate world.

Best of luck in your new ventures,

PR

Thanks PR.....

Yes, it really depends on what kind of law you go into, and the firm you get into. Larger firms tend to have longer hours, and a lot of working your way up. Especially those involved in corporate, or litigation, etc.

Smaller firms tend to be a little more "normal" for the most part, as they tend to be run by people with more of a work-personal life balance, and some forms of law also tend to be more flexible in terms of hours.

You can get paid 6 figures working 80+ hour weeks, or you can make an average salary working 35-45.....I am planning to go for the latter personally. It's not worth it to me to sacrifice all of my personal life and interests to bring in huge figures.

Oh, I know I would LOVE to do this and find an on-campus jpb. The only problem here is.....those jobs tend to be sucked up by foreign students. Until recently, foreign students were ONLY permitted to work on campus, but while that was recently dropped as the regulation, they still get priority. They are hard to come by, though I would love to get something like that - it would be ideal!

Hmmm..

Maybe you could call now, over the summer and talk to the person who coordinates the work-study program at your school, and tell them that you are very interested and see if there's any way you can secure a position.

It's worth a phone call!

I know staff ay my school work regular hours during the summer.... it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks PR.....

Yes, it really depends on what kind of law you go into, and the firm you get into. Larger firms tend to have longer hours, and a lot of working your way up. Especially those involved in corporate, or litigation, etc.

Smaller firms tend to be a little more "normal" for the most part, as they tend to be run by people with more of a work-personal life balance, and some forms of law also tend to be more flexible in terms of hours.

You can get paid 6 figures working 80+ hour weeks, or you can make an average salary working 35-45.....I am planning to go for the latter personally. It's not worth it to me to sacrifice all of my personal life and interests to bring in huge figures.

Very true!

I noticed a lot of the new young lawyers who came to work for our firm were working very long hours on cases to get experience.

Is this really an industry where you can really pick your hours when you want to move up? It seemed as though you need to get casework done in order to gain experience and earn promotion.

At our firm we had Solicitors, Associates and then then Partners. Typically the Solicitors and associates were on $150-$250per hour but they were working long hours, and the partners were earning around $450-$600 per hour and probably only worked for half as long. Although there are so many benefits of getting yourself into a good firm that will look after you.

I am damn sure you will make a great lawyer!

PRSOV

Thanks PR

Like I said, highly depends on the form of law you go into. Many lawyers also never go into practice either, and find their place in business in some form or another, or teaching, etc.

It also highly depends on the firm, if you are in private practice, you can of course have more flexibility, though also are working for self so not getting a salary. Smaller, private firms may also have more flexibility as there is less competition within the firm (remember, most of these ones are in competition with others for higher positions). And, if you were to get hired 'in house' in a public or private sector, your hours tend to reflect more regular business hours for the most part if you are there more on a consultancy basis.

Congrats RayKay!

I hope I can find my courage like you did when I ask my boss for a reference for another job.

I work in a college library and I can attest that here, we hire students on a sort of first come first serve basis. My boss doesnt typically like hiring foreign students b/c they can be harder to understand for our patrons. I would highly suggest trying to get on in your library. If possible start making inquires now, as to make a good impression.

Good luck in your job hunt, my fingers are crossed for you!!

L~