Ways to ensure no pregnancy

My girlfriend and I have been together for about 8 or 9 months now and are considering having sex for the first time. I am posting on here because she is not comfortable in doing so, so I am asking for her. We are curious to know ways to make sure that we won't get pregnant. It is obvious that we will use condoms. The main question is that is there a good time of the month to have sex that will reduce the chances of getting pregnant or any other ways to strongly reduce the chances of pregnancy? I realize that the pill is an option, but I am not sure we can go about getting that. So any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Good thinking on the condoms, not only for preventing pregnancy but in the protection from STD's/STI's. Using a certain time of the month is risky for birth control options. It is kind of hard to tell for some women when that window of time is due to ovulation/hormones, etc. expecially if she may have irregular periods.

THere are several options including the pill. I would suggest checking with a planned parenthood clinic, or a local health department. You should be able to find a phone number for them in your phone directory. I would suggest waiting on sex until additional BC can be obtained, and to not only rely on condoms. Please BE very careful and safe !!

Well it sounds like your both smart with the condom idea. To be honest, apart from the pill there isn't a better way of avoiding pregnancy. Condoms protect you from sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy NORMALLY BUT NOT 100% GUARANTEED SAFE.

Nothing is 100% safe including the pill. Condoms are your best bet but I suppose being on the pill at the same time would do no harm.

Well done for researching & asking! - Not everyone is that smart!

Doc

Coollady hit the nail on the head.

There is no surefire way NOT to get pregnant, other than abstaining from sex entirely.

There are ways to protect yourself, though, and lower the risk of getting pregnant or getting an STI.

Condoms are a must (in addition to protection from pregnancy, they can help protect from STI's), and used with spermicidal jellies they have a fairly good rate of protection against pregnancy. The pill used in conjunction with a condom also offers fairly good protection against pregnancy as well.

I don't know where you are, but many states will allow a minor over a certain age to obtain birth control pills without the consent of a parent. Your girlfriend can call around to local Planned Parenthood clinics, as coollady mentioned, and also she can contact her doctor for a referal to a gynocologist.

Other options are the sponge, a diaphragm (which she would need to be fitted for by a doctor), spermicidal capsules and jellies, foams, the male and female condoms, the pill, Depo Provera hormone injections, and others.

It's good to do some research before hand as well, you can probably do a google search and see what comes up, and what is most effective.

I'm glad you are doing your homework here. It's important also that you know that even with the most consciencious protection, it does at times fail, and pregnancy can occur. Just make sure that you and your girlfriend are prepared for that risk and have discussed all your options beforehand.

The only sure way is abstinence...

But where is the fun, romance and sexual pleasure in that?

Don't forget the topic starter has stated that they want to do it for the 1st time. That indicates they are young. All young people want to experiment with sex at some point - It's rare for young people not to. There is also a growing social pressure for young people to have sex.

We've all started somehow having sex. The topic starter has done well by at least coming here asking for help and advice.

Doc