gaining muscle and losing fat

Well, Ive decided to ge back in shape over the summer, but Ive run into a little problem. From all my research it seems that in order to lose weight, you need to be burning more calories than you are consuming, and in order to gain muscle, you need to be eating more than you are burning. Now, what if I want to burn fat and gain mass at the same time? I know most pros have a cutting/bulking cycle they follow, but is it possible to do both at the same time? Any advice would be appreciated...

Well, Ive decided to ge back in shape over the summer, but Ive run into a little problem. From all my research it seems that in order to lose weight, you need to be burning more calories than you are consuming, and in order to gain muscle, you need to be eating more than you are burning. Now, what if I want to burn fat and gain mass at the same time? I know most pros have a cutting/bulking cycle they follow, but is it possible to do both at the same time? Any advice would be appreciated...

No, you cannot do both at the same time. I would suggest staying at the weight you are at now and working out. Then when you gain some muscle mass, cut down on your food consumption. That way you will become leaner and more muscular. It's harder to become skinny and gain muscle that way. My brother has been skinny for most of his life and now he's trying to gain muscles. Even though he went to the gym everyday he didn't make much progress other than a six pack. But now he's putting on more weight and it's helping him gain muscles. When your on a workout regiment, your muscles need to be constantly replenished with energy. If your not eating a lot then your muscles won't grow no matter how much you work out. So, if you want to be buff then I suggest working out for a few months at the weight your at now. Eat about 4-5 meals a day. Small meals, but make them high in protein and carbohydrates. Chicken, pasta, and egg whites are good. Also, wheat bread, oatmeal, tuna are good as well. Oh and also make sure to drink lots of water. Nearly a gallon of water daily if your working out a lot. Let me know if you need some more tips.

in order to lose weight, you need to be burning more calories than you are consuming

To lose weight there needs to be a total caloric deficit. Whether that comes from eating less or being more active or a combination of both. Simple as: calories in minus calories out.

in order to gain muscle, you need to be eating more than you are burning

Not necessarily. Once you start weight training, which is the best way to significantly increase muscle mass, your body will automatically require more calories to increase protein size (muscle mass). It's also thought that the muscle breakdown occurs during the actual weight training and that rebuilding occurs aftrwards with food and rest. Muscle mass is very metabolically active, so the more of it you have, the better off you will be in terms of burning more calories and esp. at rest.

what if I want to burn fat and gain mass at the same time?

Yes, this is possible with a program combining weight training and endurance type aerobic activities (running, cycling, walking, swimming, stairmaster). If your goal is to burn fat and gain muscle mass and just to be fit then 3-4 days of weight training combined with 3-4 days of aerobic activity will be sufficent to accomplish this. It really depends on your goal. You mentioned professional weight lifters and they spend more time on weight training than on aerobic activities. Diet also plays a big part in all of this.

Another poster talked about weight. I wouldn't waste any time worrying about your weight and the numbers on the scale. Muscle is more dense and compact than fat and thereforeeee, weighs more. So it's very likely that a hard-core weight training program will increase your body weight. I would get your body fat composition taken prior to beginning an exercise program. Doing this gives you something to compare as you progress in your program and should assist you with goal setting. Universities offer testing or your local recreation center or gym should for a small fee. Hydrostatic weighing is the most accurate. If that's not available try to get a skinfold caliper body done.

Studies also show that drinking a lot of water increases your metabolism at rest.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but it's not sounding the most accurate. I actually have a couple of degrees related to physiology so I know the information I'm giving you is correct with what the scientific community recommends. Feel free to PM me with any questions. The American College of Sports Medicine is the gold standard in exercise physiology and the National Strength and Conditioning Association is the gold standard for athletic training, including weight training. There's articles on these web sites. I would suggest going there for further information.

I'm not sure what they teach in college but...

From my experiences, and all my research, the answer is no. Beginners can usually do both, but this isn't sustainable over a long time. To do either optimally, they must be done separately. Anyone serious about body building goes through phases of "building" (muscle) and "cutting" (fat)

I should add that for your purposes, it might be completely possible to do both...but not if you want to seriously build muscle

Jax is exactly right! I've done it! I mean, I was never fat or anything, but yeah. I'd go to the gym and I'd gain muscle plus I'd lose a little bit of weight. And then once you've noticed you're starting to shape and tone, you can work on losing weight. But you can do both at the same time.. Just change your eating style. Start eating healthier. In time, it'll come around.

Hope this helps!!!

From my experiences, and all my research, the answer is no.

You can't just decide that you want to lose fat and do that phase first for a few days and then decide you want to build muscle and do that for a few days. Your body does not work that way. Your body has a genetic predisposition for where fat is stored and taken off. It will automatically begin using more calories once you begin exercising. Calories will be burned during aerobic activity and calories will be burned doing weight training activity, although much of the calories will be burned post-weight-training activity during the rest phase.

As I stated before: It all depends on your GOAL! If your goal is to bulk up then spend more time on weight training. If your goal is to run a marathon then spend more time running or doing aerobic activities. If your goal is to be more fit overall then combine aerobic activity with weight training. But, the more muscle that you have, the more calories that you can and will burn at rest. So some weight training is always a good idea no matter what the goal. And that is what they teach us in college and these professors who teach us have Ph.D.s and they are the ones doing the research. At least the credible research!

link removedHere's a blurb that I copied and pasted from the National Strength and Conditioning Association. The website is: link removed link removed

Health Aspects of Resistance Exercise and Training

1. Resistance training may enhance cardiovascular health by mitigating several of the risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease by producing such changes as

1. decreases in resting blood pressure, particularly in individuals with elevated pressures;
    2. decreases in exercise heart rate, blood pressure, and rate pressure product at a standard workload;
    3. modest improvements in the blood lipid profile and;
    4. improvements in glucose tolerance and decreases in hemoglobin Alc in patients with diabetes mellitus.
    5. [*]Resistance training may result in improvements in body composition by maintaining or increasing lean body mass and producing modest decreases in the relative percentage of body fat.

[*]Resistance training can produce increases in bone mineral density and may help delay or prevent the development of osteoporosis by reducing the age-associated loss of bone mineral density.

[*]Resistance training may reduce anxiety and depression and may result in improved self-efficacy and overall psychological well being.

[*]Resistance training can reduce the risk of injury during participation in other sports and activities. When performed correctly and properly supervised, it is in itself a safe activity with low injury rates.

[*]Resistance training increases muscular strength and endurance, resulting in an increased ability to perform activated of daily living, and reduces demands on musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, and metabolic systems.