Hey, I'd like your opinion on this "thing" I wrote.

It's called "Hole" and I was suddenly inspired .... wrote it in about 10 min:

She walks into the counseling center. She sees the gray, bland walls. She hates the magazines. The soft rock music makes her stomach lurch and she feels an all-too-familiar dull fear beginning to throb. But when she sees the therapist, she smiles widely. "Hi! How are you?!"

The hallway is long to the therapist's room, and the patients walking out of rooms after sessions have grim faces and they seem to glare at her. But she keeps walking.

The leather chair is sticky. It sticks to the sweat on her bare leg, her skirt hitched up high. She got many glances today. She hoped for it.

"So, Janine, how was your week?" The therapist seems to say this in one sigh, and Janine notes the same grim face. It's hateful and tired of the world, it seems.

"It was wonderful. The best week I've had in awhile. I've been taking the meds and they really seem to be working. And I'm really starting to get over my fears, I think."

The therapist clears her throat. "Good, good! I'm really glad to hear it, truly. Really, Janine."

The therapist seems to sigh again, and Janine avoids her eyes. She concentrates on her leg.

The therapist has been staring. "Anything else new?"

Janine makes herself smile. "Everything is fine."

She took a pill today. She drank her coffee. She got dressed. She laughed with her friends. She got a good grade on her test. Yes, everything is * * * *ing fine.

(What do you guys think? Be honest, please.)

I think the way you wrote this is really interesting. I liked the way you described things.

If I can ask,what inspired you to write this?

Thank you!

It's kind of an autobiographical thing. It's about how some people are just never happy... they have a "hole" that seems to be eternally empty... they want something that they can't find. It's how I feel.

You have a talent for writing. You should develop it for you may find that it helps you deal with any problems that you have.

I agree with DN. Maybe writing about the things you feel will start to help you fill that "hole".

You definitely have a talent.

Hey,

I can definitely relate to hating the magazines at my therapist's office; who wants to read about yachts or read Ladies Home Journal? Not I.

Anyway, how committed are you to therapy? I sort of gather from the excerpt you posted that you might not be completely honest with your therapist. I'd say that if she's worth her salt, she probably knows. However, as someone who managed to pull the wool over his therapist's eyes for nearly two years, that's not always the case.

I've been going to my therapist for going on three years now, and I can honestly say that it wasn't until my last relationship ended that I really decided to start working on things for real. It seemed like I'd just been going through the paces to keep my mom and my girlfriend off my back, but I wasn't really committed to learning more about who I am or what makes me tick.

That's changed in recent months and I now leave therapy with a lot more to think about and I actually feel like I'm making progress.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel like there's something missing in your life; especially since you don't know what it is. That's a tough place to be.

Oh, I also think I read in another one of your posts that your mom thinks you might have bipolar disorder. I've been diagnosed with bipolar II, and believe me, it's a b*tch. The downs are almost incapacitating and the ups, while EXTREMELY enjoyable at first, always seem to crescendo with me doing something I regret (i.e. totalling cars, outrunning police and then totalling cars, risky sex, reckless spending, excessive drinking/drugs, etc).

I didn't know I had bipolar until I was over 30 (I'm 34 now). There were some signs early on, but I was really defensive about it and never wanted to admit there was anything "wrong" with me. I have no shame about it now, it's just the way it is. As far as life threatening conditions go, I'd much rather deal with bipolar than a whole slew of other things people deal with every day.

I'm pretty much just rambling now, but hopefully you'll read this and know that there are lots of us out here who have a hard time coping with life and don't always understand why it seems so hard.

I wish there was something I could say to you to make you feel better about yourself, just like I wish there was something someone could say to me to make me feel better about myself when I'm feeling down.

Try watching Stephen Colbert's speech at the White House Correspondents dinner. That seems to work for me lately. You can find it on the c-span website (link removed.

keep going with it. but try to make it different and throw in some twists. you can't just describe a good day for someone who is having trouble because many of us know what a good day feels like. Twists are good and will keep us coming back for more. The only reason I continued to read was because you didn't throw anything out of the ordinary in there... and I was waiting for it to pickup.

That has a lot of potential for character development and the ability to pick up the pace and bloom into a good story. So keep going I tell you... keep going!

I thought it was great! I got my degree in psychology and am now in graduate school for social work, so I have a completely different view of what you wrote. I start analyzing of course. I agree with malcontent that it sounds like the character is hiding something from the therapist. It also seems like it has to do with the way the character is interpreting the actions of the therapist. By mentioning the sigh and the distraction, the character may not feel that the therapist is really there for them which can lead to holding things back.

If this is what really happened to you, don't let it hurt your progress. The therapist was probably just having a bad day and it had nothing to do with your session. It shouldn't have affected your time there, but no one is perfect.

Again, I really liked what you wrote. Share more with us! I'm sure everyone would love to read it.