On Zoloft... how do I know if it's right for me?

I'm just frustrated right now. I've been on 50 mg and then 100 mg of Zoloft (an antidepressant) for about a month and a half now. I feel that I am unable to judge whether it is working for me, or if I could be better than what my "100%" is, right now.

I have stopped cutting, which is a good sign. I've stopped having days when I feel almost out-of-control-depressed over tiny little events, or no events at all. I think that even my shyness has decreased a bit. However, there are days when I still feel pretty low. Like, today for example, I feel like there is no point to life. I'm totally bored with all people and I have no interest in anything. I mean, I'll go to the gym and feel a little bit better, but there is an underlying anxiety and disinterest in the world, always. I don't know if this is normal for my situation, or if I need a higher dosage, or maybe even a totally different antidepressant?

(Or maybe I'm just too picky about my emotional changes, and should just chalk it up to...LIFE?)

I can't really comment on the drug itself, never having been on any kind of anti-depressant myself, but I can suggest that if you're worried about it you could always seek a second medical opinion. That isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Remember, Zoloft is a drug. Drugs are not meant to be the end all, be all for depression. Sometimes the side effects are worse than the condition they are prescribed for. Sometimes they work great. Sounds like there is some success with it:

I have stopped cutting

I've stopped having days when I feel almost out-of-control-depressed

I think that even my shyness has decreased a bit

From what I read, there is only one way to know if this is for you. Let your doctor or therapist know the results of this pill, good and bad. They will review this and either give you a stronger or weaker dosage, or a new prescription or course of treatment. Call them everyday if you have to, this is what you (or your insurance company) pay them for. If you don't like what they say, find a new doctor.

Hi koolaidnovel,

I got on Paxil about five years ago. It was for anxiety and I was going through a divorce. I don't know much about Zoloft, but I hear it is pretty good. It takes these medications a while to kick in. I have always taken a very small dose and it seems to relax me more. It does not change me as a person, but does make me less high strung. I would give the meds a bit more time to decide how they are working. I am personally afraid of these types of meds, but have been on mine for a long time and am afraid to get off of them. I would recommend not drinking alcohol. It makes the meds not work and also acts as a depressant. I don't personally listen to my own advice, but just a suggestion. Give it a couple of months and see how you feel. If you get to the point where you feel good, then see about stopping and compare how you feel before and after stopping. It is great that you are working out because that really helps. You dose sounds really high, but that may just be the dose of that drug. I have been on 20 mg and went down to 5 mg. I am now on 25mg of the slow release, which is the same as 20mg. I know a lot of people are on 60mg of my drug, but I did not want to over do it. I have known a lot of people on Paxil and Zoloft and most have stopped using after it worked. Just give it some time and consult your doctor. I was stupid. I met with a doctor twice just for the prescription and have not talked to anyone since then. I am definitely self medicating, but it seems to be going ok. I hope there is not any damage being done to my body, but one can never tell till something happens. If you ever want to talk or share ideas, then feel free to pm me. Good luck!

Robert

well i have been on zoloft and it wasnt working for me so now i am on exffor and trazdonde along with coplin because of my cuttin and depression so far i am doing ok sometimes i have my ups and down i have been though a divorce aand remarried to a much younger guy sometimes i get so depress i think that he might leave me but he says he loves me and he aint going nowhere but sometimes i feel like i have noone and i know he is there for me but i dont want him to get in to my problems so i learn to deal with them myself. i know he loves me but when i get depress thoughts go though my head that he might leave like the others. he has been real good to me and i do love him with all my heart so maybe it will workout now.

Zoloft and other members of the serotonin reuptake inhibitors (examples, Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa, Luvox) can take up to 6 weeks to work. Sometimes they work sooner, and this will depend on the individual. If 100 mg of Zoloft is not working within 6 weeks your physician may bump up the dose a bit. The maximum daily dose allowed with Zoloft is currently 200 mg/day.