i know this doesnt really have much to do with the topic but i was desperate. i have a pen pal in turkey who is quadriplegic. he really wants to die, and he's found some information about possible cures but he is in an underdeveloped country and doent feel there is much hope for him. i really have no idea what to do, but i would have liked to give him something positive to think about - any help?

Morning Kari.... well....evening for you

Well I think encouraging someone else to be happy and strive for a better life is a good thing for you to do.....It will help you as well.

I work with many people with disabilities. I know several quadriplegics that live very productive lives, but what they live is happy lives. I know many who have gone to school, work, paint etc...All with assistive technology devices. So the potential for greatness is not something they need to fell they have lost. See being active is what keeps us motivated and happy. He needs to find things to challenge him.

I am wondering if you can tell me where he lives. As you said many countries, do not have the quality of opportunity or care for individuals with disabilities that we here in the states do. But I assume if he is a pen pal then someone is supporting him. This support person is who should be helping him find ways to succeed.

Your part, do your homework, find out the resources in his area. Help him find activities, work and funding for assistive technology. You can do this all over the Internet.

Let him know the stories of so many others that have built wonderful lives even though they to are quadriplegic.

Lastly, just encourage him....we all need that once in awhile.

Everyone should check out this site, the artist is Dan Keplinger. He was born with Cerebral Palsy, and has limited use of his arms and legs due to spastic movements. He is the most amazing man, and artist....you can see all of his art work he. (He paint by attaching a brush to a device on his forehead)

link removed