bisexual in theory, not in practice

i haven't been on this website in such a long time. last time i was on i was coming to terms with the fact that i was bisexual, i guess i was coming out to myself. since then i have become more accepting of my sexual preferences but still have not found the courage to tell anyone yet. i believe that one of the reasons is that so far i am bisexual in theory, not in practice, and so i feel the need to dip my toe in the water (so to speak) just to be sure of myself.

so i joined an internet website to look for other like-minded guys and ended up meeting someone. it seems as though we share a lot of the same views and opinions on our sexuality as well as other things. i've grown to like him a lot in quite a short time and i am quite sure that although i can tell he likes me back, it may not be on the same level. i really want to meet him in person but im scared to as i am not ready to come out yet. i haven't been completely honest with him about that part of my life yet but i would like to be.

basically i'm not sure if i should meet him or not. if i tell him the truth and he isn't interested i'll be crushed. silly i know, but i can't help that. and if he does agree to meet i'm worried about other people finding out. can anyone please offer any advice on what the hell to do?!

hi, thank you for replying.

well my family aren't exactly hostile towards the gay community. my mother has some gay friends but for her son to be gay or bisexual is a whole other matter altogether. i don't theink any of them would take to it particularly well.

Hey,

I hope I'm not replying too late.

Is he out and open?

As hard as it is, I think your best bet is being honest with him. Some people understand this and are willing to work with someone who is not ready to be completely out. Its very common, especially amongst men.

Plus, think of it this way:

Being 'out' really means being honest and integrated about who you are and how you portray yourself to the world.

Being honest with potential partners about your hesistancy would be a big step towards that!

Hope you are well.