Why can't I find a quality job?

I left my position as a bank employee. I am now trying to find a quality job. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look or where to go to get a quality job in PA. I am sick of the bs. I am a dependable hard working person. Why am I having such a tough time? Please help.

Where have you tried looking for a job at? I use, Monster, CareerBuilders, Craigslist and sometimes HotJob to search for a job online. It also doesn't hurt to have updated resumes. You should also tell your close friends and family you're interested in a certain position & ask to notify you if anything comes up.

Good luck Job hunting can be a pain sometimes to even get an interview but all the hard work pay off at the end...

I'm trying to find a better job for myself as well!

I have posted my resume there and it is updated and I have also gone to centers where they say they will find the best matches for you. I have tried 2 so far and I am not getting the results I want. I have not given up, but I am very frustrated.

Looking for a new job is always easier when you already have one it seems! Less pressure maybe. Anyway, looking is a full time job in itself. You really need to market yourself. Find businesses you are interested in working at, tailor your resume and go in and take a resume in personally to management.

I do feel for you, since I finished uni, I have been working in a couple different jobs that are alright, pay decent, but not what I am looking for, or are the fulfillment and challenge I need. So I am going back to school next year again...going from bringing in income to going into debt...but it will be worth it I hope!

• 3 weeks later...

I hate making resumes because I never get interviews from them. I have no job experience other than being a Real-Estate agent, and have a university degree. All I remember is sending out resumes and never getting any call for an interview. People padd their resumes and put all sorts of stuff on it, or people already know who they want to hire, and just use this system to legitimise it.

I hate to be cynical, but isn't the whole job world a load of bs, and it is who you know as opposed to what you know and how much you can bs your way through. Those people who have good jobs, are not qualified - no, the qualified ones are flipping burgers or driving taxi cabs, or are Real-Estate agents, those who have connections and bs their way are the ones who have the quality jobs. I know this cynicism is not going to help me very much, but I cant help feeling this way sometimes.

I hate to be cynical, but isn't the whole job world a load of bs, and it is who you know as opposed to what you know and how much you can bs your way through. Those people who have good jobs, are not qualified - no, the qualified ones are flipping burgers or driving taxi cabs, or are Real-Estate agents, those who have connections and bs their way are the ones who have the quality jobs. I know this cynicism is not going to help me very much, but I cant help feeling this way sometimes.

I would say that this is true for a lot of people in this world unfortunately. A lot of people do get those kind of jobs through connections even if they are not all that qualified for it.

Although, here's a counterexample. I'm one of the 'qualified' ones and I now got an internship secured for this summer. A good paying one and exactly the kind of job I am looking for. Trust me I searched literally for months and now it has paid off. Just keep trying. You got nothing to lose. Something will eventually come up. Trust me.

But yes I definitely agree. The job world is full of BS these days.

Here's my take on this,

A quality job depends on who you are and what your'e looking for.

A job that may be a quality job for you that keeps you happy, may not be the same quality job for another person.

That's why, it's important to do what makes you truly happy, because the job doesn't become a job. Instead, it becomes a part of your life that allows you to grow and to truly express yourself as a person.

Each person has their own set of aptitudes/skills. Do what makes you happy and what you're naturally good at. You can never go wrong with doing something you're passionate about. Heck, some people liked playing with tractor toys when they were kids. Now, as an adult, with the detailed/fine precisions they possess with their hand-eye coordination, they land a job that pays 6-figures doing what they always loved doing - crait lifting, using crane lifting tractor machines. Who would've known?

So, one set of skill you have is unique and talented for you- invest in it. A sufficient cookie-cutter paying job for you may end up being insufficent, if it doesn't allow you to express your true self. And every job has it's own avenue. Not all jobs are meant to be cookie cutter/corporate.

That's why, it's important to do what makes you truly happy, because the job doesn't become a job. Instead, it becomes a part of your life that allows you to grow and to truly express yourself as a person.

I like the way you put that. There is a whole lot of truth to that. You have to think about how you will be spending ~40 hours a week just about every week until retirement doing some kind of work (well OK some may get away with less). Might as well be something you enjoy doing.

It's no surprise that I want to be a software engineer. I've been playing around with computer programs ever since I was 15.

I live in PA, I'm 19, I haven't gone to college and I have a good job...i'm a state employee!! Take a civil service test (they're easy) and get on the non-civil service list. There a tons of different kinds of work to do. I do clerical work. I make decent money, but the best part is I'll never need college to move up and I'm guaranteed a raise every year! I have good benefits and a retirement plan. Right now i'm looking to move up though...i just got a call today about a position that is a step higher than i am now (and $1.50 more an hour!)