Akward Conversations....

Runesoul

Anyone ever feel like conversation is all social pulp? I get so sick carrying on a conversation which I know I don't care about and I'm pretty sure the other person doesn't care about. I can play the whole thing out in my head.

Also sometimes I just can't think of anything to talk about.. including with my friends. So we just stand there for a while until one of walks away usually (in a class setting).

Comments, suggestions, critcisms?

Runesoul

oh my. I know the feeling well...

Especially if I am talking to somebody with even more of a lack of conversational skills than me. I feel like I am bothering them or something, and I just dont know how to react. Especially if they respond in mere 1 word answers or grunts to my poor attempts at conversation, which usually consists of:

Me

Them

Me are you doing?"

Them and mumbles* Good, I guess...

Me: Oh, well thats good....

Them: *grunt*

*Conversation begins to die*

or vice versa...AAH.

Sometimes I joke around and use my sarcasm in order to try and make the situation less awkward, and maybe get a few laughs as well. But I'd much rather be talking about something worthwhile than, for example, a bottlecap or something of that matter. But maybe people secretly harbor a secret desire to discuss bottlecaps with me. *shrugs*

However, sometimes something is deperately needed to break the ice. I have this random Family Guy pin, which strangely enough has ended up being a conversation starter. It lets a partially mindless conversation begin, but sometimes its needed to break the ice.

Well, I've probably given you absolutely NO help. But there is somebody here that feels the same that you do...

I guess thats why they call it ENotAlone. Hah. Hah.

No, it doesn't require too much thinking, but the topic did seem to come off a bit anti-social. I believe that when a person's anti-social, that's what they get in return. Understand, when it comes to dealing with "people", you get what you give. So, if a person were to have that kind of snooty attitude of "Uh, I don't care about you, so why am I wasting my time talking to you", the other person senses it too! In turn, that conversation automatically turns into social pulp, because of the standoffish attitude of the other person. Got it? So, if you want to make friends, it's important to show enthusiasm. Otherwise, you get the same response!

• 2 weeks later...

actually i take that back. i think you should be funny and just relaxed around many people, ecspecially your age, but certain people you have to be serious with. cuz trust me, when you're relaxed and saying silly things, they'll feel more comfortable around you and be more fun and silly themselves.

How do you usually carry the conversation, with anyone

it could be parents, teachers, coaches...are you more comfortable

with just a few people or just like a best buddy...? if you are

pretend that best buddy is everybody...

alsoooo....Smiling scores a lot of points with me...

sooo you should smile your little heart out. and laugh

just be you....

if you dont wanna feel like your being challenged

everytime you try to conversate tell them to shut up

and let you talk for once lol

kk im done....

In the original example,

me- "hey"

them- "Hey"

me- "how are you doing?"

them- "good I guess..."

me- "oh well that's good"

them: "..."

The mistake was the "me" person not following up on the opening "good, I guess" and also giving the useless "how are you doing?" which many people is just a habitual greeting. It's not a real question.

If you don't have time to follow up the question then don't ask it at all.

You could say "I hope things are good" instead of "how are you doing"

It was a meaningless conversation, but "them" could have screwed up "me" by actually answering honestly with "not too good, my dog died"

instead of the cop-out.

Both people weren't being honest, but sometimes in the interest of time and social norms and "social pulp" people just let the surface crap go by.

That's life I guess...

Break up the "norms" with humor and honesty. It usually is refreshing because everyone else is probably as bored as you.

• 4 months later...

those are good tips!! break the ice with humor!

i sometimes do that, but im pretty sarcastic either

way, in person, on the phone, ill hurt your feelings! hehe

Anyways, dont try pressuring the girl into talking about

anything sextual, i will literally get so un comfortable

another thing, dont tell the girl you are wacking off,

its discusting...I mean i could understand if shes

your girlfriend, but just some random girl that you want

to know better, now thats sick and wrong...

Just the other weekend a guy tried this on me,....talk about

ewww