The other day I went for a 2 run, oddly towards the end of the run my heart began to hurt - a weird pain I cannot describe.

I'm really fit and active etc. going to the gym 5 times a week and running 2 times a week.

Whats wrong with me?

Are you sure it is your heart? While running your stomach can get upset as well, which location is pretty near (left upper quadrant).

Did your left arm hurt as well, or did you have weird sensations on the upper left side of your body?

Remember that we are no doctors here, and even if we are, we cannot make any diagnosis on the cyber way.

Ilse.

Just because you work out, run and go to the gym doesn't mean you are healthy.

Infact excercise is one of the most stressful activity's for the heart and can put it under a lot of strain. The "excercise to keep fit" is one of the most dangerous theorys on planet earth.

What isn't explained to you at school is that the more pressure you put on your heart the more detrimental the effect.

What happens if you keep the throttle open on the engine of your car? - It dies a premature death. Our hearts are made of living tissue but that doesn't mean that they're indestructable. Infact it's the total opposite. They're not as strong as metals such as alloy and steel.

What you need to do is relax and let your heart have a break. Let me tell you, I know far more fat people that are slow and lazy live to a higher age than I've ever known thin active people. That has to be saying something doesn't it?

Here in the UK The open University has done a great deal of study into this and actually proved the "General consensus" about excercise to be wrong. It is infact a danger to the human heart amd they've managed to prove it. Convincing the rest of the world of this is near impossible though.

Dr

Was it that you had stopped running because of the pain or you had finished running and the pain came on?

Exercise is good for you but if you have heart problems, you would have to exercise in moderation. Also the gym alone is not good enough, a good diet is also very important. Chest pain has a lot of causes so it is important that you see a doctor. It would be very difficult assess you online without knowing your age, risk factors for heart disease such as smoking, diet etc and without an examination. So see your doctor as soon as you can.

And DR... i strongly disagree with what you are saying, exercise is important in maintaining a healthy life style. If someone has pre existing heart disease or are over a certain age they are advised to see a medical doctor or a proper evaluation before exercise. What he needs to do is to see a doctor and find out if his heart is ok, not relax and ignore the problem. It may nothing but isnt it better to get checked up on first?

I believe the heart is a muscle, so the more you work it, the more efficient it works. Just like any other muscle on your body. However, sometimes you can injure muscles by overload, maybe it's the same deal with the heart. I'm not a doctor, but heard cases in the past of very athletic people dropping dead of heart attacks. I would say just to not exert your body to the very extreme as much- also take a look at your genetics in the family. Get to know what diseases are prown in your family. goodluck

And DR... i strongly disagree with what you are saying, exercise is important in maintaining a healthy life style. If someone has pre existing heart disease or are over a certain age they are advised to see a medical doctor or a proper evaluation before exercise. What he needs to do is to see a doctor and find out if his heart is ok, not relax and ignore the problem. It may nothing but isnt it better to get checked up on first?

This is the general consensus. Work yourself to the bone and you'll be fit and healthy. What happens though when you push yourself too far? - Do you think the human body cannot be worn out?

The human body is like any other machine - It has limits. The human body was not designed to be pushed to it's limits day after day like a racing car. You design a racing car to race: It's aerodynamic, has a more powerful engine etc etc. The human body/heart was not designed to be continually put under pressure day after day after day. It has limits.

I agree that some excercise in moderation is good and keeps the heart stimulated but not to the extent of many fitness fanatics. Many fitness fanatics go too far in their obsession to be "fit".

Fitness fanatics will always argue that they are right about continual excercise (like a friend of mine who's since lost 2 baby's due to her continual excercise regime). Would you believe in the 1920's people also used to say that smoking was good for you?

Dr

sometimes you can injure muscles by overload, maybe it's the same deal with the heart. I'm not a doctor, but heard cases in the past of very athletic people dropping dead of heart attacks.

This is my point exactly. The human body is prone to being injured and is not designed to be continually pushed beyond it's limits. Everyone is different and it's no good fitness fanatics trying to convince everyone accross the world that excercise will make them healthy. I appreciate that some mild excercise is good but not to the extent where your body is being pushed continually - It's ridiculous.

How many dustbin men do you know that live a nice long age? - you know the guys that keep the muscles in their legs healthy with all that walking they do. What about their arms which carry a lot of weight most of the day when they're lifting peoples garbage?. What about the continual excercise they're heart is getting? - Why aren't they living until they're 90?

Yes I've also known of athletes drop dead of heart attacks. It's not uncommmon. I've heard of many more athletic people dying a sudden death than I've heard of normal people.

bellaBH:

You should realise that I referred to the Open University in the UK. They've carried out extensive studies into the ways of people in our country and found that many pro-active people have actually died through heart attack, more so than the less active people of the country. Please by all means try to convince them of your views because I've seen their evidence in black and white.

I'll repeat my original opinion which is keep calm for a few days and relax. Once you feel better go and see a Dr and get checked over.

Dr

DR

TOA's pain sounds like angina but it could be musculoskeletal as well, maybe a costochondritis ie inflammation of the rib joints. As i said before it is difficult to properly assess a person's clinical status online. However suppose it is angina??? ( I am not sayin it is TOA ) Are you comfortable just telling him to "relax" for a few days?

I am not going to get in further debate with you about exercise. EVERYTHING is bad for you if you over use them. That is why doctors advise everything in moderation. .TOO MUCH exercise is bad as is too much alcohol, too much fat etc

And it is not good enough to quote that your friend lost a baby. There are many factors contributing to a miscarriage. Not just exercise.

AND exercise is not the only factor contributing to a heart attack so people who are "fit" might not necessarily be so.

• 2 years later...

Well it is nearly 3 years since I posted my original question and since that time, about 18 months ago I was diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolaemia.

It is a cholsterol disease which causes the usual problems.

I am posting this now for others to learn about because it is a 1 in 500 chance of getting it.

The disease is passed on from either your mother or father.

Generally the only time it is discovered that a patient has it is by stroke or heart attack because there are no symptoms.

I discovered I had it by simply getting a medical check up and most importantly a liver function test.

I urge everyone to get this done, because without knowing I would never be on medication or making the adjustments I need to to try and live a normal life.