Keeping things simple

It's seems like for me personally, keeping things simple is best for me. That means setting realistic goals that are achievable such as going to college, getting a job, etc. Staying focused on being in the moment rather than focusing on the past or future. But then there has been this other part of me who always thinks there is a magic pill for just about everything: working out, thinking I'm going to make a ton of money off the internet through building businesses, really falling for nonsense that isn't there. It's like I can't realize it takes hard work to achieve just about any concievable goal. I really beat myself up over wasting time thinking about such nonsense as I realize life is short and you only have so much time on this earth to make an impact. Do you ever feel confused on the direction you want your life to head in? I think more than anything I'm always scared to take risks in achieving realistic goals like college yet when I want to gamble or bet on the latest trend for an internet business, I always lose. Why can't I just pull myself up and focus on my real issues such as getting a degree in criminal justice, moving to alabama in 4 years, hopefully someday having a family of my own. It just seems like I can't stop disappointing myself and when I make a mistake I still tend to do it again for the thrill of it. How do you keep things so simple when there is so much pressure from the media to be this and to have that and to look like a certain actor, model, rapper, etc. Embracing my true personality and not falling for the fakeness out there is difficult.

Random thoughts from my crazy brain,

Ted

Hmm..you and I are not far apart in age thus we probably grew up in the same generation mindset.

With that said, ours is definitely one of the laziest I've seen in my years so far. I'm old enough to remember what I'd call the previous generation and about 2 before them. These people were very hard workers and understood that if you want something in life, you have to work hard and sometimes sacrifice for it. Hell you'd think that way too if you lived through the Great Depression.

Our generation is of the idea that as soon as they get out of school they are entitled to a good paying job, whereby "good paying" is defined as a job that grosses at least $50k-$60k/year for 8-5 desk work. Our generation is of the huge mindset they are entitled to lots of things...a good paying job, a house, a luxury car like a BMW. This is not to say everyone is of this mindset, but the prevailing attitude of the people I grew up with when I still kept in touch with them about 5-7 years ago was exactly as I describe.

When describing "rich" people (rich being net worth in excess of $500,000), there are two classes of rich people I've found: those who are wise with their money and understand the economics of it. These people generally had to work for and earn their wealth. The other class of rich people are those who pretty much "fell" into money, either by being a trust fund baby, inherited it, or did some job that returned to them a ridiculous percentage of a return. This second class of rich generally has no idea on how to properly understand their money, how to make it, how to save/invest it, etc. These types are often of a similar mindset of "our" generation I mentioned earlier.

Sorry about droning on and on about this but I guess what I was trying to say is that not every rich person drives a Mercedes and has a 6 car garage. Many drive old beat up Toyotas, live in a rather mediocre house and always cut coupons. You wouldn't know they were rich by looking at them; in other words they don't flaunt it or stick right in your face that they're wealthy by driving a car that cost six-figures along with comparable clothing.

One last bit of advice...I am thankful I found out a few years ago that money is not everything that is important to me in this world.

But then there has been this other part of me who always thinks there is a magic pill for just about everything

I think this might just be human nature...to want a quick, easy fix. If not human nature, then something unique to American culture at any rate. God knows advertising agencies figured this out decades ago and have been using it to market to us ever since.

I really beat myself up over wasting time thinking about such nonsense as I realize life is short and you only have so much time on this earth to make an impact.

Well...what kind of impact are we talkin' here? Are we talkin' world-wide scale? Or are we talkin' "If I can improve the life of one other person that's enough" kind of scale?

Do you ever feel confused on the direction you want your life to head in?

Perpetually. That's when it helps to have a spiritual belief system of some sort.

How do you keep things so simple when there is so much pressure from the media to be this and to have that and to look like a certain actor, model, rapper, etc. Embracing my true personality and not falling for the fakeness out there is difficult.

Step 1: Turn off your TV. Seriously. I very rarely watch the idiot box, and when I do it's for specific programs.

Realize you are being sold a bill of goods by the media. I'm part of the media, and I KNOW you are being sold a bill of goods...I used to write commercial copy for radio & TV ads, and I've been a radio DJ for a little over 20 years. Anything you see on TV, magazines, movies, etc...it's all about selling you something -- whether it's a specific product, an idea or a lifestyle.

"Stuff" does not = happiness. "Money" does not = happiness. One of my ex bf's made over $100,000 a year. I lived with him in a very nice house, we traveled a lot, we had all sorts of nice things. It didn't prevent him from cheating on me, it didn't make him a decent person, and all the toys in the world couldn't make up for what I didn't have then -- someone who loved me enough to be faithful and honest. The man I married was beyond broke when I met him. He was (and is) trustworthy, faithful, and crazy about me...yet I feel like I was given all the riches in the world when he came into my life.

Don't get me wrong here...money is something. It can make your life comfortable, and you can do some really cool stuff with it. However the emphasis placed on acquiring things in American culture will leave you feeling empty long term if you adopt that as your approach to life. There has to be something more....something beyond yourself and "stuff." A spiritual belief system of some sort (not necessarily a religion) can provide that something more.

Coupla books you might want to look into...you'll need to look on e-bay or other used book kind of places, as I think at least one is out of print now.

"Wealth 101: Getting What You Want - Enjoying What You've Got" by Peter McWilliams ....You're already wealthy, even if you don't realize it.

"Life 101: Everything We Wish We Had Learned About Life In Schoool - But Didn't" - by Peter McWilliams

I agree, It's not always about how much money you make. Watch the movie wallstreet. How rich people, cause their rich, like to screw over people to get richer. America gives you all the freedoms to become as successfull as you want to be. There's a line in becoming rich from working hard, and being rich cause of being greedy and all about flaunting it. I'm not rich, but can say at the moment, if I was, I'd do it by working hard and never just to prove something to other people. Just because your not making 500,000 dollars a year, doesn't mean you should feel inferior to anyone.