Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

The Streaming Thread

4 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

Started watching and finished the first episode of this one tonight. So far it’s been pretty interesting.  Hard to believe that places like this actually exist. 

I recommend one of the seasons of the Serial Podcast about jails for juveniles if I remember correctly (separately- the first season was incredible but not on this particular subject)

• Like 1
On 3/12/2024 at 3:16 AM, Batya33 said:

I recommend one of the seasons of the Serial Podcast about jails for juveniles if I remember correctly (separately- the first season was incredible but not on this particular subject)

I finished up the Netflix series today and it was very appalling what these teenagers went through! 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Stumbled upon this documentary about people in China who live completely off the grid and relies on a self-sustainable lifestyle. Mind blown! Their resourcefulness and resilience. 

Could I survive without modern luxuries like iced coffee and 24/7 wifi? I'm a little jealous of the simplicity and connection to nature.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, yogacat said:

Stumbled upon this documentary about people in China who live completely off the grid and relies on a self-sustainable lifestyle. Mind blown! Their resourcefulness and resilience. 

Could I survive without modern luxuries like iced coffee and 24/7 wifi? I'm a little jealous of the simplicity and connection to nature.

There is this series on CNBC that's kind of cool and kind of like this called Unlocked -I've watched two partial episodes -a guy who bought a no longer usable jet plane and lives in it and a family who lives full time on a boat -parents and young child.  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, yogacat said:

At this day and age it’s very hard to believe that at one time we lived without mobile phones, Internet, and Wi-Fi. Also hard to believe that at one time that I never drank coffee. That all changed once I started working in a call center environment. It became necessary fuel to get through everything. 😆

• Like 2
3 hours ago, BeaTlesFan77 said:

At this day and age it’s very hard to believe that at one time we lived without mobile phones, Internet, and Wi-Fi. Also hard to believe that at one time that I never drank coffee. That all changed once I started working in a call center environment. It became necessary fuel to get through everything. 😆

I've enjoyed living off the grid temporarily during travels etc.  Otherwise-no thanks and it's fun to watch how others choose to live.  I had close to 2 hours extra time for me because of technology and ability to transmit a huge amount of information via email/electronically for a project deadline last Friday when 25 years ago when I did the same sort of project it often meant one of us racing by taxi to a post office or fedex to make sure the information made it to where it was going by the deadline. And having a team of people making copies. 

My mom did customer service for a major insurance company for years in the 80s and 90s and they went off the grid once -when the OJ verdict was announced - no phone calls for those couple of minutes.  These days of course you probably could do something automated or enable chat functions so people could watch if needed.  

• Like 1
On 4/17/2024 at 3:28 AM, Batya33 said:

I've enjoyed living off the grid temporarily during travels etc.  Otherwise-no thanks and it's fun to watch how others choose to live. 

But did you build your own smoker oven. 😉

Not streaming but saw this little movie gem. Bawled my eyes out.

Just now, yogacat said:

Lol nope and no interest in doing so.  

2 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I watched a bit of it - looks interesting!

• 1 month later...

Friday night I watched the original Nightmare on Elm Street. Then yesterday, I watched the sequel.  Might watch the third one this evening. Gotta love those cheesy special effects from the 80s.  😆

Outside of that got all caught up on my Investigation Discovery shows. Mean Girl Murders being the most recent.  Did any of you watch the series about the dark side of Nickelodeon TV?  What the child stars went through. 

• Like 1