Career Struggles

Hi all,

I’m a longtime lurker here and I’ve really enjoyed your advice on a variety of topics.

I’m writing because I’ve been going through a tricky time, that’s very much of my own making so I don’t want to sound overly self-pitying. I’m in my early/mid 30s and have reached a fairly high level in a sought after industry after many years climbing the ladder. I started right after graduating college and have had a job ever since, typically going from place to place through referrals and have great relationships with all of my former bosses and am close friends with many of my former coworkers. I was at my last company for several years, and for a variety of reasons, felt like I had gotten as far as I could get there and it was time to move on. I interviewed for other jobs while still there, almost always getting to the final round of interviews but not getting the job. This is through a combination of applying to job postings, referrals, etc.

I decided to continue to give it a shot at my previous company after the search wasn’t going anywhere, but after a few more months, felt like I needed to pull the plug for good. I ended up staying through the year, at which time jobs in my industry slowly started to dwindle due to a tough economic time this industry is going through-constant layoffs etc. Same thing-many interviews, getting through multiple rounds most times, not getting the job. Now that I've finally left, this pattern has continued to repeat itself. Granted, I’m going for competitive, high level positions, in a slightly different area of the industry, but one that I still have good experience in. I started to cast a wider net a few months ago with roles that are a little more closely aligned with what I’ve been doing most recently, but again, due to this tough time many positions are being put on hold or have become a thousand times more competitive than usual. My contacts and friends have been really helpful with freelance opportunities and putting me up for full-time jobs, I just can't seem to make it past the finish line, it's always close but no cigar.

I’m just curious if anyone has gone through a similarly difficult time, even if it's maybe not as extreme. And yes-1000% lesson learned, I won’t leave another job again without something else. It truly was a thought-out decision and not impulsive, but regardless I won’t be doing it in the future unless something truly horrendous is happening at a company. 

Just feeling bummed and curious about any thoughts. Thanks so much if you’re still reading and hope you have a lovely night.

Yes I have gone thru this. I completed university and took me 5 years to get a full-time job. A lot of people would say I didn't try hard enough but I was particular in what industry I wanted to go into and its just competitive too.

My advice to you is yes, don't quit unless you have something lined up. And secondly, don't give up. Keep applying even after rejection. I would get rejected and then later on would see the job posting again, and would re-apply (tweaking my cover letter if needed). I was just hoping that maybe someone might noticed my name because I kept applying and liked my persistence. It took awhile but that someone finally called and took a chance on me out of hundreds of apps.

6 minutes ago, LootieTootie said:

Yes I have gone thru this. I completed university and took me 5 years to get a full-time job. A lot of people would say I didn't try hard enough but I was particular in what industry I wanted to go into and its just competitive too.

My advice to you is yes, don't quit unless you have something lined up. And secondly, don't give up. Keep applying even after rejection. I would get rejected and then later on would see the job posting again, and would re-apply (tweaking my cover letter if needed). I was just hoping that maybe someone might noticed my name because I kept applying and liked my persistence. It took awhile but that someone finally called and took a chance on me out of hundreds of apps.

Thanks for your response! Yes, lesson learned about the quitting thing in the future-I definitely thought it through carefully, just not carefully enough I guess! Funny enough, I've recently had that same experience of reapplying to a job a second time and have had three interviews for it now after not hearing back when it was previously posted. Good for you for not giving up! It's just a bit crazy making in moments. x

• Like 1

Awesome. Keep applying and re-applying 😁 And if you made it as far as the final rounds, know not to beat yourself up. You must have done very good but someone just did a tiny bit better than you. 

As a hiring manager, the past 3 interviews we did was tough. The top two candidates for each position were always neck and neck. One little detail, very trivial, would be our way of sealing our decision even tho we knew all of them could do the job.

• Like 1

I was a headhunter many years ago and I agree with not quitting next time.  I had to return to the workforce after a 7 year gap raising our son and I resumed working at age 50 in a brand new city -looking and being taken seriously was not easy and I left a very successful career where I was high level too (but not looking to replicate level or $$).

I second all of Lootie's advice. It's great that you network so much - I guess- maybe obvious -none of these freelance gigs could turn into something FT?

Yeah I went through this in 08 when my industry more or less collapsed. It was a different situation though I did not quit a job I got laid off as did half the licensed workforce in my area. 

I don’t really feel your decision to leave was that well thought out because you didn’t have a place to go to. There almost never is a reason to quit a job without another one. I have stayed at jobs I absolutely hated with a passion until a better opportunity came along. 

I always figured that the worse the job the more finding a better one would stick it do the people at the one I was at. You really don’t hurt most companies by quitting, you do so by leaving for a better opportunity. Then when they ask you to stay you tell them you’ve already accepted another position somewhere else, I wouldn’t say where, and that you start right after the notice you’ve given. 

2 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I was a headhunter many years ago and I agree with not quitting next time.  I had to return to the workforce after a 7 year gap raising our son and I resumed working at age 50 in a brand new city -looking and being taken seriously was not easy and I left a very successful career where I was high level too (but not looking to replicate level or $$).

I second all of Lootie's advice. It's great that you network so much - I guess- maybe obvious -none of these freelance gigs could turn into something FT?

Thanks Batya, I agree, no more quitting unless there’s something else! So normally in my industry and with my particular experience, I should be able to make close to what I was making before on a consistent freelance project or projects, but because of what’s going on economically in this particular industry at the moment I decided to quit, there have been less opportunities overall. So while I’ve gotten some good one offs or short-term things, that wasn’t as easy to slide into as I had hoped. I should clarify that while economic issues play into it a bit, I know a large part of it is likely something I’m doing as well so I don’t meant to blame it all on that! Freelance work is something I more recently started looking for and hardcore putting myself out there for, so hopefully something more lucrative and/or long-term pops up soon.

Thanks so much for your input. That’s awesome you entered the workforce again on your terms, my mom did the same. X

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Big Stan said:

Yeah I went through this in 08 when my industry more or less collapsed. It was a different situation though I did not quit a job I got laid off as did half the licensed workforce in my area. 

I don’t really feel your decision to leave was that well thought out because you didn’t have a place to go to. There almost never is a reason to quit a job without another one. I have stayed at jobs I absolutely hated with a passion until a better opportunity came along. 

I always figured that the worse the job the more finding a better one would stick it do the people at the one I was at. You really don’t hurt most companies by quitting, you do so by leaving for a better opportunity. Then when they ask you to stay you tell them you’ve already accepted another position somewhere else, I wouldn’t say where, and that you start right after the notice you’ve given. 

Hi, thanks so much! Totally, “well thought out” may not have been the best choice of words, more like, “not a Jerry Maguire situation.” There was a big effort to keep me over many months and in retrospect I should have stayed even longer than I did. Many in my industry are currently laid off so I definitely feel even more like an idiot because I didn’t HAVE to be in this situation and many did. But, live and learn and I’ll figure out a Plan B (or C…or D) soon.

Thanks again for your thoughts! 

• Like 1
Just now, AnonymousDuck said:

Hi, thanks so much! Totally, “well thought out” may not have been the best choice of words, more like, “not a Jerry Maguire situation.” There was a big effort to keep me over many months and in retrospect I should have stayed even longer than I did. Many in my industry are currently laid off so I definitely feel even more like an idiot because I didn’t HAVE to be in this situation and many did. But, live and learn and I’ll figure out a Plan B (or C…or D) soon.

Thanks again for your thoughts! 

Yup. It’s not over and you have a positive attitude. Just keep stepping up to the plate and swing away. 

• Like 1