I'm about to move out but my budget makes me scared. Can you help me?

I got confused because on your other thread you said you already moved out. Are you in temporary housing?

I also dislike being sandwiched in between the first and third floor. My son and his spouse live on the second floor of a three floor building and the noise from the water going thru the pipes is LOUD. Plus apparently the people upstairs wear their shoes indoors. And they were remodeling so they got construction noise too. 

1 hour ago, Needinghelp101 said:

I heard 2nd floors get the worst of it -- the smell and noise from downstairs and upstairs.

If you want clean and quiet check their pet policy. Barking dogs and wet dog smells will permeate the place if they allow pets. Also a place that allows people to bring washers/dryers will be humming with that racket/smell all day/night.  The more lenient/lax on rules they are generally the worse it will be. Keep in mind lower income places will not have the luxuries you're looking for.

I have to dissent. I lived in several buildings that had in unit washers and dryers and I was never disturbed by "racket" from other tenant's machines. Not from their dishwashers either. I did hear one neighbor's AC unit but that was because their motor was about to fail and it made a terrible noise for weeks until it finally exploded (fortunately without damaging anyone or anything other than itself!)

Not having in unit laundry and not having AC are the two things I miss the most. Also not having parking (my current building is street parking only in a very high density neighborhood).

Anyway, that's been my experience. Very positive with in unit laundry.

Well, I just applied for a $1089 place that's on the 2nd floor. I'm content. They allow pets, but their rules on pets seem strict. (Including doing DNA tests on any dog poop left around the property; if it comes back to that tenant's pet, they get charged.) I actually haven't seen a place that has NOT allowed pets yet, and I looked at tons of places. So, that's what it'll have to be.

Hopefully there's not too much noise above me, but one pro with 2nd floor places is that at least its cheaper electricity costs compared to get-hot-or-cold-the-fastest top floor units.

I hope all goes well. 

• Like 2

Something weird. Apartment just sent me contract about flooding. This is basically what it says:

We are not aware that the dwelling you are renting is located in a 100-year floodplain...Whether or whether not the dwelling is in a 100-year floodplain, the dwelling may still be susceptible to flooding.

You can search FEMA's flood map on its website that is searchable by address, at no cost, to determine if a dwelling is located in a flood hazard area. Most tenant insurance policies do not cover damages or loss incurred in a flood. You should seek insurance coverage that would cover losses caused by a flood.

We are not aware that the dwelling you are renting has flooded at least once within the last five years.

I visited the place twice. It looked fine to me. What is this about? I've paid application fees and deposits but haven't yet signed a lease. Is this standard procedure?

5 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Something weird. Apartment just sent me contract about flooding. This is basically what it says:

We are not aware that the dwelling you are renting is located in a 100-year floodplain...Whether or whether not the dwelling is in a 100-year floodplain, the dwelling may still be susceptible to flooding.

You can search FEMA's flood map on its website that is searchable by address, at no cost, to determine if a dwelling is located in a flood hazard area. Most tenant insurance policies do not cover damages or loss incurred in a flood. You should seek insurance coverage that would cover losses caused by a flood.

We are not aware that the dwelling you are renting has flooded at least once within the last five years.

I visited the place twice. It looked fine to me. What is this about? I've paid application fees and deposits but haven't yet signed a lease. Is this standard procedure?

I would review this with your insurance agent and get their take on it. It's required to disclose this for legal reasons (Basically covering their butts).

1 minute ago, Wiseman2 said:

I would review this with your insurance agent and get their take on it. It's required to disclose this for legal reasons (Basically covering their butts).

Will do. I'll also ask the leasing consultant if this exclusively applies to flooding due to environmental factors...or flooding due to maintenance issues within the apartment. 

Overall, reading it again, it doesn't sound bad (just covering their butts) and I know floods are rare in that area.

I once got a letter explaining that I DID live in a potential flood zone. My apartment never flooded because my particular building was built on a rise, but the street below did flood a couple of times.

I suggest you talk it over with your rental insurance carrier and find out how much it would cost to add flood insurance to your policy. And I would definitely buy the coverage.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Needinghelp101 said:

I just applied for a $1089 place that's on the 2nd floor. I'm content. 

That's great. Remember an application is just a foot in the door, not a legal contract like a lease, so if something better comes along you're free to pursue that. Application fees are usually nonrefundable but some places deduct them if you sign the lease.

Is it for a one year lease? 

5 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

That's great. Remember an application is just a foot in the door, not a legal contract like a lease, so if something better comes along you're free to pursue that. Application fees are usually nonrefundable but some places deduct them if you sign the lease.

Is it for a one year lease? 

Yep, one year! 

I'm going to ask her today about timing move-in and lease signing. I don't want to sign a lease until I see the final unit after they completed their cleaning and whatnot. Hopefully it can be a matter of signing the lease a day before moving in, or day of.

38 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Yep, one year! 

I'm going to ask her today about timing move-in and lease signing. I don't want to sign a lease until I see the final unit after they completed their cleaning and whatnot. Hopefully it can be a matter of signing the lease a day before moving in, or day of.

I've always signed the lease when I pick up the keys. And they won't give you the keys until you sign the lease and pay the deposit and first month's rent. 

You absolutely should be able to view the unit before you sign the lease and pay. Be sure to take a paper and pen so you can write down anything you see that needs repair or attention. And take photos with your phone. Then email your findings to the management company. That way later on they can't claim YOU broke or damaged something that was already there. If they balk at any of that, don't sign or pay.

I hope it ends up working out for you. But as Wiseman said, you aren't required to sign the lease and pay if the apartment doesn't end up being what you want.

• Like 3

I agree with seeing the unit before move in. It doesn’t matter if they actually test dna. They are strict about dog waste as they should be just like any other kind of gross trash or waste being disposed of properly. I’m sure the building has cameras too. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I've always signed the lease when I pick up the keys. And they won't give you the keys until you sign the lease and pay the deposit and first month's rent. 

You absolutely should be able to view the unit before you sign the lease and pay. Be sure to take a paper and pen so you can write down anything you see that needs repair or attention. And take photos with your phone. Then email your findings to the management company. That way later on they can't claim YOU broke or damaged something that was already there. If they balk at any of that, don't sign or pay.

I hope it ends up working out for you. But as Wiseman said, you aren't required to sign the lease and pay if the apartment doesn't end up being what you want.

Definitely, that's my plan. Though it's a little different now. Virtually every place I've seen requires you to pay non-refundable admin/application fees AND a security deposit first, which I did yesterday. (No first month's rent.) That's just to secure the apartment. So if the unit ends up not working out, the only thing I'm getting back is the deposit. Sucks.

53 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Definitely, that's my plan. Though it's a little different now. Virtually every place I've seen requires you to pay non-refundable admin/application fees AND a security deposit first, which I did yesterday. (No first month's rent.) That's just to secure the apartment. So if the unit ends up not working out, the only thing I'm getting back is the deposit. Sucks.

Welcome to living on your own. It's kind of like getting your first paycheck and you see how much is taken out. 

You may find other things require application fees or other types nonrefundable fees. Companies no longer do the work of making sure you a viable candidate for free. 

i

Yeah, the application fee is usually not refundable.

However, be cautious about paying deposits up front. I did one time and ended up getting scammed. They said with my rental history and credit I would only have to pay a $300 deposit, but if I wanted to hold the apartment I would need to give them $200. They said if I decided not to rent with them I would get the $200 back. So I paid it, and then they came back with requiring a $1000 deposit. When I tried to get my $200 back it took over a month of arguing back and forth and I even had to go to their office and sit there refusing to leave until they proved my money was in its way back to me. Oh, and even though I had to electronically pay the deposit they MAILED me a check when they finally refunded the deposit, which took an additional week. They scare you into doing this by saying the can't guarantee the unit will still be available and that paying the deposit is the only way to "hold" it. After that I refused to pay up front until my application was approved and not once did I lose out on getting the unit.

So just be cautious. Most of the time you don't really have to pay the deposit up front. It's OK to push back on that.

How should I time all this?

I'll be looking at the unit for the first time on Sep. 23rd. If all looks good, I'll sign the lease that day.

Then I'm moving in on the 26th.

Do I just buy my furniture that weekend and store it at my house? Same with W/D. And, ugh, I'll have to pay for delivery because no way am I lugging a W/D up to the second floor.

Obviously will have to have electricity and renters insurance set up beforehand.

I would keep looking in the meantime. Since you haven't signed a lease and that apartment isn't available to view for six more weeks there's no reason why you can't continue to look around. 

Yes, you would have to pay an application fee if you apply somewhere else but don't let them strongarm you into paying a deposit. Tell them you're willing to take the chance that the unit might get rented in the two days it takes to process your application.

You can buy furniture and appliances and schedule a delivery date so you won't have to have them moved twice (once to your current home and again to your new apartment). Most places will hold them for you.

And I hired a couple of dudes to move my stuff for me. They were WAY cheaper and way more convenient than hiring a moving company. There are tons of services you can find online. The one I used is called Dude With a Trailer lol. But he did a great job for me and I saved hundreds. And you can either hire a service that has their own truck or you can rent a truck and just hire them to load and unload your stuff. I preferred the service that has their own truck because that way I didn't have to go thru the hassle of finding a truck, renting it, picking it up, driving it, filling up the gas tank and then returning it. I really hate having to do all that! Asking friends to help is all good and well but we all know friends HATE helping us move! Oh, and also save money by packing your things yourself. Some services offer packing but that's just more money out the door.

Hope some of this helps.

20 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Do I just buy my furniture that weekend and store it at my house? Same with W/D. And, ugh, I'll have to pay for delivery because no way am I lugging a W/D up to the second floor.

Don't buy in advance. In addition to moving it twice, you want to make sure it will fit thru to your apartment. You have measure entry ways, the stairwells & don't forget the ceiling. If a couch it too wide for a door they might be able to lift it on the diagonal... but your ceiling has to be high enough.  It's not just your room size... 

You might be able to ask the property manager for these details. 

26 minutes ago, Needinghelp101 said:

Obviously will have to have electricity and renters insurance set up beforehand.

you can call them when you know your move in date.  Get the utilities turned on as of the date you get the keys. talk to your insurance company. Renter's policies are pretty standard. 

Use the luxury of still being at home to your advantage. Sleep at home and then meet delivery people, cable hook ups or whatever in those first few days.  you can be cleaning and bringing over car loads of your stuff around those appointments. 

18 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I would not buy in advance. 

I agree. If you haven't even seen the unit you could end up with furniture and appliances that won't fit.

Have you at least seen another identical unit? If not, ask to see one so you can take measurements and at least have an idea of what you'd be working with.

For example, my brother has a washer/dryer set where both were front loading. The dryer opened to the left but the hookup for the dryer was also on the left, so you couldn't close the door to the laundry room. That matters when everyone is working and going to school remotely! And when he originally bought the machines they had to go into a closet with an accordion door. The machines were wider than the closet so again, the doors couldn't be closed. And my current fridge (which was supplied to me) sticks out into the kitchen so I lost some square footage. AND the toilet is next to the bathroom door so you can't open it all the way because it hits the toilet.

Like they say, measure twice so you only have to buy once!

3 hours ago, Needinghelp101 said:

How should I time all this?

I'll be looking at the unit for the first time on Sep. 23rd. If all looks good, I'll sign the lease that day.

Then I'm moving in on the 26th.

You have the luxury of living with folks, so no hurry to get out. In that case once you have the keys you can start ordering stuff/getting stuff delivered. There's other stuff too like filling up the fridge, bathroom stuff etc.  Setting up your bed. Waiting around for the cable gut is a good time to get some stuff done in the place. Focus on the living essentials. For example bed to sleep in towels, coffee maker