OK I know not eating is bad, but what if you are just not hungry. I feel hungry when I wake up (around 10:30/11) but then I go for a 30min run and I no longer feel hungry. So I don't eat anything until around dinner time (whatever my mom cooks, which is healthy). Right now I guess I am a teeny bit hungry, but I just don't feel like eating. Any thoughts?

cranberry,

What you described is extremely unhealthy and bad for your metabolism. I would suggest trying to at least eat small portions, even if you're not hungry.

I eat 6 small meals a day instead of the usual big 3.

I'm not a "morning person". When I wake up I'm never hungry. But I always at least have a mutlivitamin with a banana or lowfat yougurt, or a small bowl of cereal/oatmeal, or cottage cheese with fruit, etc . If you're running you especially need to get the proper nutrition or you'll start burning off muscle instead of fat when you run.

If you don't "feel like" eating, then go for something quick and non-perishable like a granola bar, which is quick and easy.

If you do not "feel like" eatign due to emotions and not ophysical reasons- then that is something you need to look into. Maybe you're just not hungry or maybe there's more to this situation.

You need ot take care of yourself,

BellaDonna

As was said above, it is not healthy to go a full 24 hours or so (as you are doing) without eating. Is TERRIBLE for not only your metabolism, but also your nutrition (you will be lacking proper calcium, iron, and other vitamins).

This is behaviour I used to have when I was starting on the path of eating disorders (anorexia)...I would eat dinner as then my parents would not worry, but that was it.

You NEED to eat through day - it actually HELPS your metabolism increase by doing so...right now your body will be in starvation mode so retain things more.

I am not always hungry either as I messed up my appetite responses a bit from the anorexia....but I know I must eat as I am very athletic, and work out with weights as well as do lots of cardio in terms of my cycling....and so I have to eat even when I don't really feel hungry in order to prevent my body from depleting muscle, and to provide energy and nutrition I need to stay fit and strong. I still have problems doing so sometimes mentally due to the past eating disorders, but I know I must do it!

Depending on your energy needs (ie exercise you get and so on) you as a growing female need about 1600-2000 calories a day (more if you are very active...they define that as about 60-90 minutes hard exercise everyday or so, with cardio and weight training). I workout about a total of 20-25 hours a week with cycling, yoga and weights, sometimes more, sometimes a little less depending on week and need to eat more as a result. The best way to do this is through several small meals through day (they usually say 6 meals through day) as it keeps you from getting too hungry, and keeps metabolism going.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's not like I don't eat anything for a whole 24 hrs. If it makes any difference I forgot to mention that before I ran I had a banana and some milk. I didn't want to eat a lot in the morning, b/c I read exercising first thing in the morning burns the most calories...

Then after dinner I usually work in the evening (5-10pm) and I eat a snack during my break. How much I eat (going by when I feel hungry) depends on what I am doing that day. During school (which is done for the summer for me...except I will be taking one Intersession class soon), I will eat throughout the day because I feel hungry--must be because I need the brainpower or something. And if I have to work the whole day, I eat basically every 2hrs.

But being perfectly honest here, I probably am beginning to develop annorexic, because it is so frustrating when you are trying to lose weight. Nevertheless, taking your advice, I am going to eat more throughout the day to help my metabolism.

And I'm just wondering...RayKay are you a professional athlete? Or do you have a dayjob and then cycling is your hobby?

cranberry,

It is true that exercising first thing in the morning burns more calories. What I do is exercise first thing in the morning and then wait 30-45 mintues after wards to have breakfast. However, you have to keep in mind that if you're not eating properly and getting the nutrition your body needs then when you do your cardio you will burn into your MUSCLE and not fat. So if you're looking for the atlethic, trim body- you won't get it from starving- you need to increase your muscle and decrease your bodyfat percentage to have that althletic look- but starvation in combination with cardio will just eat away at your muscles and give you the "withering away" look.

Keep in mind that starvation is counter-productive to weight loss. When you withold food from yourself- your body goes into "starvation mode" (thinks it's dying) and then it will STORE the little food you do eat for survival because it doesn't know when it will be fed next. You need to feed your body high qaulity foods consistently. Healthy eating in combination with exercise is the only way to reach your goals to not only lose wight but also keep it off. I learned this firsthand- it's how I lost 35 pounds and have kept it off for over a year. .

I tried the unhealthy ways already- they do not work. There are no quick fixes, miracle diets, etc.

If you feel like you could be experiencing early signs of anorexia- then it is very important that you seek help now before you get deeper into this unhealthy way of eating and thinking. Is there a trusted person that you can talk to about your this? I think that should be your first step to prevent thsi from going any further.

BellaDonna

Hey cranberry...no, not a professional (wish I was!) but do race competitively on a provincial level. I have a regular job, but fortunately hours are decent so I have more time to train. Generally work out in morning doing either power yoga, or core, and then after work do my cycling (about 6 days a week) and the gym (about 3 days a week). Weekends generally in season at least have races, or longer training rides. When I am not able to cycle (due to being away for example) I'll run.

It's quite busy, but fortunately my partner is athletic too so understanding, and some training we can do together.

Belladonna,

I wasn't purposely trying to starve myself, I just figured I wasn't hungry so why would I eat. I gladly ate dinner b/c I was hungry at that time. Yet today I did eat lunch after I ran...even though I wasn't really hungry. And I am going to continue to do that (plus throughout the day, small meals/snacks) b/c it feels refreshing.