Struggling to focus at work.

thornz

So I pulled my finger out and got myself a social life, literally overnight.

Moved to a new town three weeks ago and have gone from having a very limited, boring, lonely life to being out every evening after work and cramming as much into a weekend as I can. Right now I am loving life, in fact I'm in ecstasy, however my newfound exciting lifestyle is leaving me struggling to focus at work.

I get on fantastic with the guys at work, in fact probably too well, we spend too much time joking and chatting and even when I put on music in my earphones I can't switch from fun mode to work mode. The last fortnight (worked here 2 months) I have been very distracted.

I've also got a massive, ridiculous crush on a work colleague I have to work closely with so can't avoid. I actually look forward to seeing him on a workday, and I'm finding myself distracted in his presence, they moved him across the office so he is only a few feet away from me now and he has started commenting in our discussions. I find myself fantasising about him or about events I will be doing later that day/week.

I'm loving my new life but I also very much love my new job and being able to pay my bills lol. I want to refocus and be able to live my life to the fullest without jeapardising my career. How can I do that? How can I relax at work and between social activities so I don't burn myself out.

I'm also struggling to sleep properly for the first time in a few years. Perhaps I'm having a manic episode?

so it sounds like you have multiple problems at the time being. Number one is not being able to focus at work and number two is not being able to fall asleep which sounds more worrying. Regarding the former I'd stick with shorts bursts of productivity ex. Pomodoro technique which basically means that you cut yourself off any distraction for a limited time saying 5 or 10 minutes per 30 minutes. Regarding sleep I'd stick with working out 2 hours before bedtime in order to exhaust and drain your physical and mental health for you to fall asleep instantly. you should also consider meditation throughout your day which has immense effect not only on sleep but on focus as well. As for meditation techniques you could check wpifoundation.com. They have amazing guided programs that will help you achieve concentration.

so it sounds like you have multiple problems at the time being. Number one is not being able to focus at work and number two is not being able to fall asleep which sounds more worrying. Regarding the former I'd stick with shorts bursts of productivity ex. Pomodoro technique which basically means that you cut yourself off any distraction for a limited time saying 5 or 10 minutes per 30 minutes. Regarding sleep I'd stick with working out 2 hours before bedtime in order to exhaust and drain your physical and mental health for you to fall asleep instantly. you should also consider meditation throughout your day which has immense effect not only on sleep but on focus as well. As for meditation techniques you could check wpifoundation.com. They have amazing guided programs that will help you achieve concentration.

Hi, the Pomodoro technique sounds excellent I shall be trying that. I do find when I meditate I am more centred so I shall get back to doing that on a regular basis.

I hate the gym or working out so the exercise I do is usually random or planned activities. I did think my energy levels and sleeplessness might be due to needing to tire myself so I went trampolining and have taken up MMA and went Jive dancing last night. Seems to have done the trick as tonight I'm ready for bed at 6pm and am forgoing my plans in favour of a relaxed night home alone!

• 2 months later...

Hii....i had read your post.so your problem is you cant focus o your job

The main problem is that you are distracted with that colleague whom you had crush with.

Any how you are enjoying your life well.But for your career ,it is necessary to focus on your job well.you have to work perfect in order to get success.

For that you have to get distracted by that crush.

Engage with some other work take some yoga go to exercise and always focus on your goal.

Archived