I ended our opposite sex friendship, I don't know what he's feeling

BellaBroom

I've ended an opposite sex friendship because we were getting close beyond platonic and we even admitted to having feelings for each other. There's a reason we can't be together, which I will not go into here. But we initially met in junior high, and we casually dated but I never returned his feelings. He established contact with me via Facebook 15 years later, and things grew from there.

I tried to end the friendship a few weeks ago when I realized I was falling for him, but he just wouldn't let me walk away. He said I mean too much to him as a friend to just cut contact over something like romantic feelings. The problem is, I've developed an emotional investment in this friendship, and I was at the point I was becoming jealous of any potential suitors.

It's been 3 days since it happened and I'm still hurting as though I've ended a relationship. I told him my reasons, and it deeply hurt to cut contact with h but it's for the best. When I told him, via text message (we couldn't meet up) he didn't really respond. He didn't say a word back until I said I'm sorry it had to get to this. He replied that he's "at a loss for words" and hasn't said anything more.

I feel so bad about it all, but I'd just like to know what he's most likely feeling? What feelings would elicit a response like that? Why didn't he really reply?

Uh, he didn't reply because you ended the friendship. He is also caught off guard and backpedaling, and mourning the loss of whatever you two had or imagined having.

You have a responsibility to let him be. He is thinking whatever he wants - it is no longer your business, if it ever was.

You said it had to end. End it in your mind as well.

Archived