Could I have depression?

I am looking for someone with experience with depression. Lately I have hated every aspect of my life. I'm not sure how or why I started feeling this way. I hate my job, I hate my marriage, I hate the town I live in, I hate my home, I hate myself, and I hate how I look. I have no friends. I never feel like socializing to make friends. All I want to do is go home and sleep. Finding the energy to get out of bed is hard some days. I'm steadily gaining weight because I'm stressed and too tired to exercise. I've been thinking about going to the doctor but I wanted to try other methods before medication. Is this what depression is like? I do not have suicidal thoughts at all. But I am so unhappy that it is keeping me from living life.

Those are all signs of depression. You could try to pull yourself out of it by working out, spending time with friends, persuing a career, there are lots of things you can do, but chances are your brain is telling you just to be a recluse. Medication always helps a lot, you can try getting on some generic, basic anti-depression medication. I take lexapro and it has worked wonders for me. You really can get your life back. Please feel free to ask any questions.

No, Lexapro did not make me gain weight, another medication I take for something else did. Once you are on the pill you will be more motivated to exercise and eat healthy and joining a program like weight watchers can truly help you manage your weight well.

Drugs are great if they work and if the side effects are not greater than the depression itself, but usually a last resort, and you shouldn't just take any without talking to a Dr. first, it can make things worse. If your are concerned about depression you should go to therapy, a lot of depression is about how you react and think about things and therapy redirects your thinking in a positive way.

Archived