Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Shabby

After a lot of thought and debate with myself, I've decided to get started on birth control... my doctor put me on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and I'm like two days into taking it with only a bit of yucky tummy so far to complain about.

I've heard that OTC can essentially turn you into a superbiotch and also make you gain loads of weight and it scares the bejeezers out of me. Basically I was just wondering if any of the ladies on the forum here have experience with OTC?

Thanks!!

After a lot of thought and debate with myself, I've decided to get started on birth control... my doctor put me on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and I'm like two days into taking it with only a bit of yucky tummy so far to complain about.

I've heard that OTC can essentially turn you into a superbiotch and also make you gain loads of weight and it scares the bejeezers out of me. Basically I was just wondering if any of the ladies on the forum here have experience with OTC?

Thanks!!

I have been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 10 years now, and I can say no, I did not gain weight or turn into the devil herself. The first month or so you may have some side effects but they balance themselves out after that time period as your body adjusts to the hormones.

The pill will actually regulate your hormones better, shorten and lighten your periods and that can actually help regulate your moods before periods even better!

Newer pills such as the ones you are now on use lower hormone doses than the pills of days gone past so are not nearly as bad on your body these days! Some people will have more negative experiences with them, and some birth control like Depo-Provera can make some women absolutely crazy - it all depends.

Keep track of the changes in your body, give it a fair 2-3 month try and let your doc know of any problems. I know for me, having been on it so long, I am actually going to talk to my doc about my prescription as it is having a bigger effect on my sex drive now than it used to I think.

To avoid the icky tummy feeling, try taking pills at night before bed.

Thank you! You did a good job reassuring me... everything I read on the net is horrible reviews, but I figure that's because... if it was going well for you, why would you go on the net to report it?

Anyway, today was THE worst... I had a dentist appointment at 7:30am and I COULD NOT get up. It felt like I was going to puke everywhere... such a queezy stomach. I told my mom later on why, and she said that my body's just getting used to it, and it was basically morning sickness. EW! I had to sleep through all day. Gross.

I also have like zero appetite anymore... which I don't mind

Thanks for your reply!

Thank you! You did a good job reassuring me... everything I read on the net is horrible reviews, but I figure that's because... if it was going well for you, why would you go on the net to report it?

Anyway, today was THE worst... I had a dentist appointment at 7:30am and I COULD NOT get up. It felt like I was going to puke everywhere... such a queezy stomach. I told my mom later on why, and she said that my body's just getting used to it, and it was basically morning sickness. EW! I had to sleep through all day. Gross.

I also have like zero appetite anymore... which I don't mind

Thanks for your reply!

The pill can mimic pregnancy symptoms - both when you go on it AND off it - as it messes up your hormones a bit. Your body WILL adjust to it...just hold on and you'll pull through once your body adjusts to the extra hormones

I'm on Ortho-Tri Cyclen too,I've been taking them for about 5 weeks.I've had some nausea,not everyday but I'd say 2 or 3 days a week.I take them at 10:00 pm everynight (I set up my my cell phone alarm cause I know I wouldnt be able to remember otherwise) As far as I know I havent been more b*tchy and I havent gained any weight either.The thing is,I read somewhere that OTC is one of those pills that make you gain weight but then I read somewhere else that they dont so I dont know,I guess it depends on the person.I think I've been a little more sensitive too which is not soo good always But so far the nausea has been the worse.I was talking to my bf the other evening,right after I took my pill and I started feeling so nauseous I had to bring the alcohol bottle and stuck it up to my nose,lol,it didnt stop for at least 2 hours.But well,at least I prefer taking them in the evening and that way I dont have to put up feeling like this the whole morning.

*nod*

I'm going to stick it out and see what happens... at least a little while. I take my pills at midnight every night and I usually go to sleep a little after that.... maybe I should take them earlier to prevent the morning sickness. Hmmm!

I used OTC when it first came out on the market. And I can tell you first hand (not trying to scare you) but it made me hate myself that's how mean I was to everyone. I couldn't stand myself. I also gained 5 pounds. BUT hear me out. Every single woman reacts differently to different birth control- so you are going to have to see it for yourself. It is very good that you are on birth conrtol, continue taking it but if you notice that you are getting mean then contact your obgyn and tel her so she can lower the dosage (is still as effective) Or put you on a different brand. I switched to OTC Low. Worked wonders for me. Just wait and see for yourself.. every one is different. Also with every form of birth control their is a possibility for wieght gain- but think of it this way- if you weren't on it you would gain a lot more being pregnant!!!