Integrating with friends

happyhippo

So I have been with my new partner for approximately 7 months now. I have met all of his friends and they all seem like perfectly nice people, some of which I get along with better than he does. He has many friendship circles.

He has been split from his ex-partner of 7 years for almost 2 now, I was also with someone for 7 years and we've been split for around a year.

My partner's break up caused his main friendship group to fracture and as a result we have not yet had a group outing or anything like that with them. They have to arrange separate outings for each couple (his ex is with someone new, but someone that was also within the group). Point is, in a few days time will be the first outing I have with them all and I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared for it!

Is there anything I can do or tell myself to feel a bit more comfortable? I am the, 'new girl' as it were and whilst it's been a while since the split and I've never been made to feel anything but welcome when I've met them individually, I can't help but feel a little out of place and like they're looking at the relationship as something totally alien! After that many years they are used to seeing my partner and his ex together so I guess I'm just feeling self-conscious.

I don't know if I'm making sense but any advice would be much appreciated

I've never thought much about it. They will already know that I'm with someone new, and I expect them to treat her with the same respect as with my ex. If that doesn't happen, then I'll talk with that person and make sure that it doesn't happen again (which has never happened).

You might be over-thinking the issue. Just be yourself, and let time be your ally.

Archived