Flaky eyelids?

I have noticed recently that my eyelids have been getting increasingly dry, red and flaky. It is not a major problem but if you look up close you can definitely see it and I`m not most pleased

My mum thinks it could be an allergic reaction to cosmetics but I haven`t started anything new recently so I really don`t know..

Anyone else get this? Help is much appreciated ..

I've never had that happen to my eyelids, but it does sounds like it could be an irritation or allergic reaction, because it is getting red. But you said you're not using anything new.....

Also, the skin on your eyelids and under your eye is some of the thinnest skin on your body, so it is very sensitive. The makeup may be drying out the area...and if you were not hydrating your skin enough- by drinking enough water and moisturizing it, you'd likely see it affect the skin near your eyes first because it is so delicate.

I would try not using the makeup for a few of days and see if it gets better....this can help you figure out if you developed an allergy to what you've been using, or if the makeup is drying it out. If it's still dried out and flaky after discontinuing the makeup, try using a hypo-allergenic eye cream or gel to be sure the area is getting moisturized. If that does not imporve it, then I would have a dermatologost look at it. It sounds uncomfortable.

BellaDonna

I use to get this when I was younger mine was a type of ezemea (not sure how to spell) mine was to do with hormonal changes so I was recommended primrose oil tablets which seemed to do the trick.

Now if I become stressed i get it again and each time within a week of taking these tablets it clears up.

Your local chemist should stock or herbal shop

Thanks guys.

I have started swimming a lot more recently so am not sure if the chlorine in the water would be affecting my eyes? But then again I do wear goggles which should protect them.

Apparently I could try bathing my eyes with a mixture of tepid water and baby shampoo to moisturise the area.

If Only- my aunt actually has excema and I know that these things can run in families. She has a lot of problems with her skin in general though

whereas mine is restricted to my eyelids so not sure if it could be this?

Belladonna- have already stopped wearing eye make up over the past few days so will see if that makes any difference. Hmmm.

• 10 months later...

Fif -- Yes, like Bella said, the skin on your eyelids is very, very thin and sensitive. Goggles don't really protect your eyes. The water gets in. The chlorine gets in and it's very drying. Be sure to really rinse your eyelids very well after being in the pool and put some sort of lotion on them for sensitive skin. That may help.