Beating Yourself up

Hey there Mylife-

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by beating yourself up specifically...but any form of self-injury is still self-injury. To answer your first question: yes, there are a lot of other people who self-injure. Not only do I, but I know many others who do. What goes on in everyone's mind I can't really say...because it's different for everyone. I guess when I do it I sometimes think about all of the things that are bothering me. Sometimes I get angry and when I think about the more hurtful things I hurt myself more. I'm usually worried, stressed, angry, feeling alone...and always self-blaming. You mentioned that it might have something to do with the way you grew up...that's definetly very possible. Were you ever abused as a kid/teen? Even if it was just or mainly emotional abuse, that can very much contribute. My childhood was...a lil rocky, and I know it is a pretty fair contributing factor to the self-injury. Perhaps part of it has to do with the fact that we were raised with the association of physical and emotional pain. And the physical pain was always the more welcomed of the two. Not only that...but we feel like we deserve it...I don't know, there are a lot of complicated feelings involved...but you didn't really specify your situation, so I don't want to get too far in depth...because I might be way off target.

Anyway, I hope that answered your questions.

Take Care.

...if you're talking about forgiving yourself or accepting aspects of your life then I can relate. It's typical to be our own worst critic. I am that way. I struggle to not see myself as a "failure" for my decisions in life that have led me to where I am now.

Life is short. Nobody's perfect. That's the beauty of being human!!!Don't dwell on the past. You can't change it. What's done is done. Take control NOW and make decisions you can be happy with. Enjoy life. Gratitude is important imo. Sometimes realizing how good I really have it helps me be content with my life.

I hope you can realize that you don't have to take life so seriously and enjoy all the good in you. Life is what we make of it each moment. Oh, and happy new year to you! -Bree

By Beating myself up i'm talking about it in a literal sense. Like punching myself really hard, taking my head slamming it into things...etc. I don't know if i do it to blame myself, and yes i did have a rockey childhood, i did go through some forms of emotional abuse. I don't know if i do it to blame myself or not. Maybe I do i guess. The pain does feel good. It doesn't hurt it just feels good. That probally sounds really abnormal but yeah. Sorry that i wasn't clear on beating myself up.

Our situations sound a little similar...but with many differences as well. I can't say I know exactly what you've been through...only you can know that. But, if you ever need someone to talk to or ask about something feel free to PM me. I don't mind listening or offering advice (not that I can promise I'll always have the answers or the best of advice, but I don't mind lending my ear...or well...eyes if you need/want.)

Take care of yourself