How to address my roommate/cat issue?

somechick99

I was simply pointing out that her cat scratching me was relevant to the couch. My question was about how to tell her I'm splitting the cost, not whether or not we should. Thanks for your input though

So you're not even asking her what she thinks about this, you're telling her that's how it's going to be?

I agree with those saying you should simply pay for what you agreed to pay for. Number one, you said yourself that your friend has no reason to lie if she saw your cat scratching the piece of furniture, and you haven't seen her cat scratch any furniture. Number two, you did agree to pay for it already.

If she's annoyed by this turn of events, I don't blame her.

err, not to add oil to the fire, but when i had a cat i very seldom caught her scratching the carpeting.. yet she did, that devil, and continued after i had showed her it wasn't acceptable, just not in front of me!.. (and i used to clip her claws regularly and she had her favorite scratching board available..).

Secondly, who says your roommate is telling the truth?...

>If you did split the security deposit, then just tell the landlord to take the cost out by taking your security deposit. That in essence forces her to pay half because she can't make you reimburse her for what was lost to the landlord on the security deposit.

I think Lavender's suggestion is pretty good..

Having said that, cats are like small kids--they can ruin furniture, that's just how it is!.. Have you tried spraying some catnip extract on the scratching post?

I think you should pay for the chair that you agreed to pay for. I know you were drunk but you agreed to pay so you should.

However, don't pay for anything else by yourself. You both have cats, neither of them are declawed.. There's no way to know which cat is doing which damage. Sure, she saw your cat scratching the chair, but that doesn't mean her cat wasn't. I've worked with enough cats to know that if they have claws, they will probably scratch something.

Pay for the chair and nothing else. In the meantime, use duct tape and cardboard to cover up the bottom parts of furniture so the cats can't do any more damage.

Archived