When the company gives you raises, when does it start?

wai

My company recently told me I was given 4% raises. It was the day before I got my last paycheck. I'm getting another paycheck tomorrow, so I received my statement today. I haven't seen any changes yet and I don't want to come off as being greedy if I ask my manager. When does it normally start, if they say they give you a raise. Would that be next year?

Usually 2-4 paycheck later. You should figure out what 4% of your salary would look like in a paycheck so you know when it gets there. Lets say you make $50,000. A 4% raise would be $2000. Divided by 26 pay checks is about $77/check minus taxes....maybe $50-65 take home extra. See if you notice that difference in the next 2 checks and if not, raise the question with your HR department.

Another idea is to check on your pay stub. Sometimes there is an "annual salary" or "contract value" category, depending on your profession.

Good luck and enjoy the extra $$!

Usually 2-4 paycheck later. You should figure out what 4% of your salary would look like in a paycheck so you know when it gets there. Lets say you make $50,000. A 4% raise would be $2000. Divided by 26 pay checks is about $77/check minus taxes....maybe $50-65 take home extra. See if you notice that difference in the next 2 checks and if not, raise the question with your HR department.

Another idea is to check on your pay stub. Sometimes there is an "annual salary" or "contract value" category, depending on your profession.

Good luck and enjoy the extra $$!

Thank you. I just checked my paychecks and i dont see the difference. I was confused cuz my 401l just started two paychecks ago and it's taken out of my paychecks. So its confusing when they give me a raise and dont see it on my paycheck. I will ask HR if i dont see it after 2 paychecks.

If your 401k deduction is kicking in at same time as pay raise.. it might seem like you are making less...but you are not. Part of your "new" salary is going to retirement and not taxable.

Regardless... give it a month and look at the info on the pay stub.

If you can't figure it out, call HR or talk to the person in charge of payroll...NOT your boss.

If your 401k deduction is kicking in at same time as pay raise.. it might seem like you are making less...but you are not. Part of your "new" salary is going to retirement and not taxable.

Regardless... give it a month and look at the info on the pay stub.

If you can't figure it out, call HR or talk to the person in charge of payroll...NOT your boss.

got it. thank you so much

There is likely a figure for base rate--that's before any taxes or deductions and is either your hourly, annual or pay period total, which everything else is 'based' on. Compare that figure with your earlier checks.

It's also perfectly appropriate to go back and ask the person who informed you of the raise for the date your new rate will start. That's not 'greedy,' it's just business.

Congrats on your raise.

Ok So. I didn't feel like waiting and I asked HR today about it. They checked and said it was a mistake. I was supposed to start seeing my raise on my paychecks. Wheww!! I'm glad I asked. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Archived