What does "non-exclusive" mean?

Here's some backround - I've known this girl for about 2 weeks now. A friend introduced us at a party. I asked her to hook us up and she did. I called the girl and we hit it off, we talked a lot. Later on i asked her out, and she said she'd love to. But we didn't make an actual date, so i asked her if she would go out on a date with me, and she said of course. But we still haven't had a "real" date. She's hung out at my house twice and we have an awesome time. The first night she kissed me on the cheek, i kind of did the second night. I want to kiss her but i keep wimping out. Today she asked me to her school dance.

We talk on the phone almost everyday. We both really like each other a lot, we've been open about saying that. But it was confusing because i wasn't sure what we are exactly.

So today we were talking on the phone, and she said "What do you consider us?" I wasn't sure either, so i asked her if we are dating. And she said "Dating non-exclusively." What does that mean? Does that mean we will probably be "together" in the near future? She said she really likes me and wants to get to know me better, and that she recently got out of a long relationship. Does non-exclusive mean she's seeing other guys? Personally I don't think she is, but what she said makes it sound like she could be. She has talked about other guys, but not like she likes them or is seeing anyone else. I'm just a little unsure and worried because i really like her a lot.

From what I gather, non-exclusive means that you both have the option to see other people; you're not "tied down" so to speak. It doesn't necessarily mean she's dating another guy, but it does mean that if she wants to see someone else she can (And the same holds true for you and other women).

Thanks. But why would she say that if she isn't seeing someone else? I don't get it. She should've just said we aren't a couple or something yet. Non-exclusive makes it sound like she's going around dating other guys, and i'm almost sure she isn't but not positive. I know how she meant it, but its just confusing. I guess she meant we aren't "serious" yet, and she wants to see how things go? I think i was right in saying we are dating. I know i don't want to see anyone else. And i don't think she does either because she tells me she really likes me, and her friend keeps telling me that too. We have something kind of special.