LaFlygurl03

ok....is there anyway that a home pregnancy test could come up negative even if you are pregnant....once the doctor had asked me if it had ran in my family if the test came up negative but it was supposed to be positive...could that happen...i know that the really only 100% test is by blood, so could home pregnancy test not work on some people....

A home pregnancy test is less reliable with a negative result than a positive result. If it says you are pregnant, it's somewhere around 99% accurate. But the negative ones are the problem.

Home pregnancy tests measure hCG which is a hormone secreted by the placenta during pregnancy. The amount of hCG increases as you get farther along in the pregnancy and some women have extremely low levels in early pregnancy. So the home pregnancy test may give a negative result when in fact you are pregnant. Or if you don't perform the test exactly according to the instructions you can get a false negative result.

If you get a negative result, wait a week and then try it again. If its still negative but you haven't got a period and believe you could be pregnant, then you need to see your doctor for a blood test.