How do I leave an abusive relationshp with a borderline PD ex with pets, live-in

n0way0ut

The title says it all. I don't feel safe here, Im getting threatened with police calls for false domestic violence accusations and manipulated on a daily basis (excessive calls and texts from ex), lies about my cat dieing only to threaten me with a restraining order, etc. We broke up but we live together and I have two cats so I cant just leave. No friends will take in my cats, my family lives 3,000 miles away on other side of country and are poor and probably don't care, to be honest. I rather be in a homeless shelter but I cant because i have two cats. Animal shelters take kittens but my cats are adults and theres waiting list

She has borderline personality disorder, I only have $400 a month i am a full time student and looking for a part time job but an unemployed right now

What should I do? I feel so helpless and lost, no one to turn to, no one to help me

People with pets in an abusive relationship find it even harder to leave. For the pets. Don't let that fact tie you there. Perhaps try to find people who would adopt your cats? And try McDonald's for a job. I got in with no relating experience to food, and they said they like to give everybody a chance (but make sure it's a corporate, not a franchise, a franchise can adopt their own philosophy that differs). Or look for jobs that require no experience. On campus jobs? Try the work help (whatever they're called at yours) center on campus? Volunteer right now (like at a pet shelter) to build up experience (and maybe you'll have an in with that shelter by volunteering).

What happened with the friend that was going to let you move in and bring the cats? Did that fall apart?

Call the domestic violence hotline 1-800-799-7233

Or 1-800-621-HOPE

Or 1-888-743-5754 this is a hotline for men

Tell them your situation and ask for help. Call ALL of them if you have to.

Google local feline rescue groups in your city/town and start calling. Explain the situation to them, and that you need urgent help with surrendering your cats. I'd love to tell you to ask for temporary foster care until you can get a new place but you really need to rehome them given your financial situation.

If you adopted the cats through a rescue or shelter, call whoever you got them from, explain what's going on and that you need to resurrender them. If you signed an adoption contract, you may be required to do this.

Archived