How to tell if a guy likes you on MSN?

rachelb11

If he wants to talk a lot that seems like he likes you. And I don't think if he doesn't always start the conversation, that doesn't mean he doesn't. He is probably just as nervous, wondering if you like him, so that may be why he doesn't always IM first. Plus, most people when they are online, are doing other things, ex: homework, games, other conversations. He might not even notice you sign in. I know that sometimes I don't see when friends sign in. Don't be afraid to IM him first. Just go hey wanna talk? or u busy?

I am sure if he likes you you will be able to tell. It is harder online, but the whole thing is basically the same.

Here's my expereince:

If I've just exchanged SNs with a girl, I might IM her a couple of times when she gets on. But after those couple of times, it's more like "the ball is in her court", if she wants to talk to me the next time she gets on she will.

In a more recent example(which is weird, as it's actualy kinda backwards), this girl found out my SN from a friend(cause she needed som help on homework), so she IMd me. The the next couple of times right when I get on she'd IM me and we'd just talk for an hour or more, usually start at school but then lead to other areas.

It was funny at first because she'd IM me first. There was even a time where I commented to her "you beat me too it once more"(Cause she told me "hey" just as I was typing "hey"). But then I'd be on for 20 or so minutes and she wouldn't IM me. At the same time I was thinking "the ball is in my court" and that if she wnated to tlak to me she would. It was at this point I would just IM her, or wait a minute or two more ebfore she eventually IMd me.

(This is not a daily basis thing, she's on maybe once or twice a week)

yeha but under normal circumstances, I would intiate the conversation at first. Then I would let the girl initiate it unless I really needed something from her(Like maybe I truthfully forgot if hw was due the next day).

But I'm more of the guy who sometimes has trouble with talking with no real point other than to tlak to that person. The how was your day talk. SO that make contribute to me not intiaing the convo after a couple of times cause I just don't know if I could lead the conversation.

Hey thats interesting ...in my situation, I was the one who got the guys MSN from his friend and kinda pretended that I got a bunch of MSNs and not specifically his. I've only talked to him like twice, and both times I've inititated the hey, everytime I wait for him to initiate, he doesn't ): From that, would it mean he's STILL waiting for me to initiate? or that he's simply not interested?

Hmm..

I'm somewhat protective of my SN. If someone I know wants to contact me, I would like them to ask me for my SN(and probably 98% of the time I'll give it to them). Mostly for the basis of me knowing who's really at the other end and knowing who has my SN. So..Sometimes I get mad when I get a couple of IMs from people that could have very well just straight up asked me for it, but instead went the route of asking someone else for it.

It's like IMing me is on the level of calling me. One time a guy was trying to ask me for other people's SN, but I wouldn't tell him. I told him i he wanted to know people's SN, he should just ask them, as I didn't feel comfortable giving away something that another person probably didn't want given away. Like just because you have this girl/guy's phone number, you shouldn't just give it out to everyone you know as he/she may not want everyone calling him/her.

Um, is this guy shy? Do you normally talk to him at school?

SOme people who are shy at school may translate that to the internet. I knew once it took me 30mins to an hour just to say "hey" to this one girl. I would just keep typing it over and erasing it. I just kinda felt nervous. And it was weird, as I usually had no problem just talking to her at school.

While in a more recent situation, i've felt kinda shy around them at school but online it was just easier getting to talk to and know her. (Especially since we have 0 classes together)

Normally I'm more confident online then I am off. I just sink into this other personality. It's kinda like internet is my alcohol. I'm just usually more confident and truthful than in real life.

He might be a busy guy. He may be a really shy guy around you. Maybe he doesn't know how to lead a conversation, like if he says hey and you say hey, but what to say next.

He might like the feeling of you IMing him first. And maybe if he IMs you he will lose that.

I guess I would say intiate once or twice more, then wait. At this point if he doesn't intiate there's a chance he probably not interested. You may try once more after waiting for X period of time.

wait wait wait..so if a guy initiates the convo all the time, that means he likes you? What if he's just really social? Or really bored?

hehehe..I don't mean to sound negative, but I have this particular situation as well, and these are the "insecurity questions" runnin through my brain..

I would like to add another question though:

If you think a guy likes you (on msn) what's a cute/attractive way to subtly suggest that you know, reciprocate, and want him to ask you out?

rachelb11,

mayb he doesnt IM u bcoz he feels doesnt need to coz u always IM him 1st. so y would he? b patient. if he's interested, he'll let u know.

so if a guy initiates the convo all the time, that means he likes you? What if he's just really social? Or really bored?

he could b bored, but he couldnt b bored all the time right?

though if he's really social, why should he initiate contact all the time to talk to the SAME person if he's not intrested?

If you think a guy likes you (on msn) what's a cute/attractive way to subtly suggest that you know, reciprocate, and want him to ask you out

why arent u ur self asking him out? he wouldnt say no since he show interest. it's always easier to communicate thing by IM. dont u think?

orange blood,

i need ur point of view here. what if the girl u like show no interest like never initiate the contact and after u said hey 1st she told u that she have to go without apologizing. the next time she get OL would u try to initiate contact again and again or just leave it to her?

orange blood,

i need ur point of view here. what if the girl u like show no interest like never initiate the contact and after u said hey 1st she told u that she have to go without apologizing. the next time she get OL would u try to initiate contact again and again or just leave it to her?

Say hi! Seriously I'm a girl in the reverse position as you and if the guy just said hi to me, it would make my day coz I'm scared of saying hi in case the guy isn't interested!

o ya and by the way the guy does not have to start the convo most of the time he doesnt espessically if hes shy so ya now if hes really outgoin with everyone including u then ya he would start talkin to u all the time

hope this helps

goodluck

is he shy?

orange blood,

Funny you say that. One time me and this girl I had a crush on exchanged SNs. Then like a week later I finally got the confidence to say "hey" to her(online). Then after that, I intiated just about every convo we had online. So I stopped. (But it also happened around this time that she got mad at me for somehting I jokingly said, but I didn't know that it had made her mad). So basically we had almost no contact for a week or two. At school we'd be less than two feet from each other and nothing. We'd also be online and nothing.

Usually I'm one to quickly try and make-up with someone if we had a fall out as I'm just the type that doesn't like people to be mad at me, but for some reason I decided to let this one just happen. One day, i was just explaining this to a friend online (who lives a few states away) and how I wish we could just resolve all this crap and that she would talk to me again, and in "movie-fashion" she contacted me. The first time she ever intiated contact to me. And basically me saying "So your talking to me now?" got us to basically talk about what happened.

I kinda wish it would have had a movie-like ending, but it didn't. Now(months later) she basically initates any "convo" we have online, but that's not saying much, as it's usually cause she needs some help in a class or to just tell me about a class meeting. And before anyone comes out and says "maybe she's just using that as a reason to talk to you", we now don't really talk at school even though having more classes this year than the last two combined, plus when she doesn intiate after she gets her help or tells me what she needs to tell me, she does quickly say ttyl, bye, etc etc, so as to not have an actual conversation i assume.

That was long. Short answer: After the first couple of times of me intitaing and her just "having to go" i would stop initating. I would also stop initiaing if I've juat been the only one to initate.

o ya and by the way the guy does not have to start the convo most of the time he doesnt espessically if hes shy so ya now if hes really outgoin with everyone including u then ya he would start talkin to u all the time

is he shy?

What if it's hard to tell if he's outgoing? yes I know this sounds ridiculous (how could you not tell right?), but this guy seems really outgoing when I'm around, but when I'm not (ie he doesn't know that I'm around, like i'm sitting behind him in class) he seems pretty shy...

Also, sometimes we'll both be online for like an hour, not talking to each other, and then he'll start the convo saying like:

"sup?"

"I'm really bored..procrastinating..y'know"

"I've talked to like everybody I can..tryin to avoid the studying"

which to me, sounds like just-a-friend convo stuff, but then we'll talk for like an hour or two about school, life, love, relationships, everything.

ya ok i get wjat u mean like around some people there outgoin and around others there shy well umm it depends like what you guys say online but even sometimes that wont tell ya whether he likes u cause some people talk more in person then online basically

if u guys can talk for an hour to 2 hours without much pausing then u r really interesting or he like u but thats my opinion soo ya i hope this helps

goodluck

After the first couple of times of me intitaing and her just "having to go" i would stop initating. I would also stop initiaing if I've juat been the only one to initate

u did miss her right? what if this girl still dont initiate contact for weeks even months? would u think 'oh, i dont think she's interested' or 'oh, she's just stubborn/palying hard to get!' then u set deadline when u'll initiate contact.

and what if she at last initiate after weeks? would u think 'see? i know she's just trying hard to get!'

the point is i just want show some interests. mean while i also wanna make sure if he really wants me. if this guy can swalow his pride and initiate again the next contact, then i'll b sure! what d'u think?

LostInaTrapOfMyOwn,

u also can start to talk about ur plan for week end or his. if he's telling u that he dont have any, though it's not always true, he wants u to ask him to go with u

if u guys can talk for an hour to 2 hours without much pausing then u r really interesting or he like u but thats my opinion soo ya i hope this helps

u're right, i wont wasting my 2 hours for someone that i'm not interested if he talks too much and ask a bunch of questions.

a12345,

but just saying hi wont do anything to u or him even if hes not interested mayb u guys could just be friend

the prob's i dont wanna b just his friend coz i like this guy too, so much

but i'm affraid that if i say hi 1st than he wont answer or just say hi back and leave. i'll b really frustated. i'll b wondering y he wont to talk to me anymore? is he not interested anymore? it will ruin my next days till he initiate the contact again (if he does, if not?? arghh....)

thanx for replying i really apreciate that

ups, where's rachelb11 anyway?

From my experience, guys usually initiate the convo, like has been mentioned throughout this thread.

One think to keep in note is that a guy (like me) won't always IM a girl if he knows a lot of her friends are online too. The guy has no clue what she could be doing, joking about you (at you), copying and pasting ur IMs so they know, etc. It's almost too risky.

And when it's a girl you like, u may want a little luck. As I mentioned above, you don't want to IM her when all her friends are on. A few days ago, I IM this girl I like and right when I press send, all her friends who were "off" or "away" instantly are online w/o their away messages. And I know if she doesn't repond (it has happened), she wasn't busy cuz she was typing b4 that (it says so at the bottom of the IM on AOL).

I think talking online takes some patience and skill (so u don't sound retarted), but talking in person is the way to go if you can.

i agree its better to talk in person but if u cant the phne is good but some people r afraid to talk on the phone so the internet is great but like daXman said the problem with notes and i/m's is people can show it to other people soo thats y i think talking is better and if its bad u can always deny it

i hope this helps goodluck

popo and a12345,

thanks..that's very interesting..very interesting indeed hmm..I guess he does like me then...veeerrry interesting. lol

For the rest of the folks on this thread though, I would like to point out that if your good friends with each other, then you might still talk to each other for a couple hours. Cuz if you think about it, you probably have/can talk to like your bestfriend for an hour or 2 right? So if you and your crush are good friends then you may just be...good friends

that would suck, so for everybody else, I hope I'm wrong!

hahaha..I'm replying like 2 seconds after you a12345...that's freaky.

Anywayz, like i said, I hope I'm wrong And that's completely true. I mean if you can talk to someone for a couple hours, there must be serious chemistry of somekind.

But incidentally yeah we are good friends..In fact we talked today and..well there's some screwed up stuff that shouldn't go in this thread