Meeting with graduate program head. Help me not lose my mind!

Tomorrow morning my BF and I are driving 14 hours so I can check out a graduate school. I have made an appointment with the head of the program I am interested (Museum Studies). Now, all of a sudden I am VERY nervous.

I feel like I'm not going to have anything to say and the things I plan to ask about are idiotic. I just need some reassurance that I am a competent human.

Things I want to ask about:

What are they looking for in upcoming applicants

GRE- What score range do they require (if at all)

What is the balance between theoretical classroom work and hands on field work

Full time v Part-time: How does he see the difference effect students

I know somewhere in my brain there are other things I should ask about but my brain is completely fuzzy right now...

i'd also ask him if he has the names of any recent graduates or current graduate students so you can email them and ask about their experiences (or maybe there is someone there that can talk to you). i'd be interested in the student perspective on things.

inquire as to what kind of work/study programs they have - ie, would you be a TA, an RA, etc...? or would you have to take out student loans to go.

ask what are their placement statistics or something of the sort. how many people graduate a year, and how many go onto find jobs in their field with their degree within a year? do they have some kind of help or career services center?

might also want to ask him about current and future job trends and availability in this field, before you drop loads of cash on a masters degree in a subject that will give you skills that are not easily transferable to other industries.

Just sit down and brainstorm, ask about what they focus more on, practical training eg. will you be doing actual conservation work in class, or just learning in theory? Will you be actually designing and fabricating exhibits (in class) or just learning in theory? a lot of masters programs in this field focus more on the "office" side of stuff, so like project management, and grant writing and how to delegate, but don't actually give you the more practical hands-on training.

i can't stress enough that you look at the job figure for this field in your country. look at a job board to see how many museum jobs are in any given city, the salary, the position, how many are just seasonal etc. Also do you know what area you want to get into (fundraising, conservation, curatorial, archives, exhibit design) these are all different areas that need there own specialization. this will help you determine if the program is right for you, and if you should even bother pursuing this. If the program focuses more on grant writing and registrar work and that isn't what you want then don't pursue it. I think a good program will introduce you to all aspects and allow you to focus on one or more. in my country there are tons of jobs looking for museum fundraising professionals, and no jobs in the other areas, so look at your own country, if you love conservation, look to see if there is actual demand for it.

Archived