What happens after the promise ring

Yesterday i decided to give my gf a promise ring and i know full well the ramifications of that action. So exactly what am i suppose to be doing now? i feel like i am in limbo between being engaged and just being Gf and bf. Is there like a time i should start thinking about moving toward the engagement or what should i do?

I think I got a promise ring about a year to 18 mos before we got engaged, but there are no real requirements. You could give it as a Christmas gift -- mine had a pearl on it. He kept it a surprise. It was really very nice of him. I probably don't thank him enough. I lost it however when I lost weight very suddenly and it just slipped off and disappeared at the place where I was working.

LOL, my bf gave me his classring as a promise ring. It's way too big so I use it as my keychain.

He says if everyone sees a man's ring with me they'll KNOW I'm taken.

Well, I think it is just a "promise." You don't have to get engaged or get married anytime soon. It's only saying that you value her and somewhere down the road you'd like to get married.

For us, we might get engaged next year, or maybe in 4 years when we settle down more. We could get married next year, the year after, or maybe 5 or 6 years later, but I know we're going to get married sometime.