Crossroads with my career?

I'm not sure that the career path I'm on is what I want to do anymore. I'm at a small (less than 20 employees) engineering company that has no real motivation to create or refine their limited amount of products. I thought that by working here I could use it as my first real internship since I did not have one right out of college (mostly due to bad GPA).

While I am learning on the job and working with other engineers... I feel like I'm really not making any progress. The job is supposed to involve programming and after being there for 2 months I am essentially a glorified PC technician. My degree is in Electrical Engineering and not once have I used it professionally (i.e. design a circuit, not that I was good at it to begin with).

I realize that it takes time to flourish as an engineer and find your strengths...but as of yet I feel like I haven't even hit ground zero as a starting point.

My resume is being updated and I am actively seeking new employment...even though I'd like to give this place at least until the 6 month mark to see if I can "grow" anymore (despite being told by one of the senior engineers there that, unfortunately, he thinks that this particular company is definitely NOT the place for a young engineer to grow, since they don't do any sort of refinement...they just put bandaids on everything).

Now, that being said....the real point is that I'm not sure if I even WANT to stay on this career path.

I recently went through a BU that has been seriously making me re-evaluate my situation as far as my values, goals, ambition, etc...

She was such a free spirit and I became almost envious of that. There was a point where I was considering saying "to hell with it" and becoming a bartender or just focusing on music....and joining a band some day.

Sounds very whimsical, I know. I think my dilemma is that I never truly identified my passion in life. Yes I've always had an affinity for math and science, and I always will....but I feel like my 20's were "wasted" on focusing on just engineering and that now I won't have a chance to experience going down these other paths.

My plans are to go back to school and take a few classes just to whet my appetite again for learning and see where it takes me. Ideally I'd like to get my masters..but now I'm not sure if that's truly what I want to do.

I suppose if I was in a better job situation where I felt like I was progressing I wouldn't have these feelings...but today is today and this is where I'm at.

I've even considered a transition perhaps into software or web development...something more artistic...but still using my engineering "skills".

I guess I'm just lost!

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm going to try to answer. My answer may be harsh, offend you, make you go cry, etc etc etc. WARNING.

Apparently, posters think I'm "insensitive" [rolls eyes.]

I'm not sure that the career path I'm on is what I want to do anymore.

It has nothing to do with career. It's what you want to do and need to do. ;]

I'm at a small (less than 20 employees) engineering company that has no real motivation to create or refine their limited amount of products. I thought that by working here I could use it as my first real internship since I did not have one right out of college (mostly due to bad GPA).

GPA has nothing to do with it. SKILLS have to do with something in it. TRUST ME. My GPA sux but I got hired than majority of my friends who have stellar GPAs.

I stlll have a job! And they don't. LOL ;] Funny how things work and don't work.

While I am learning on the job and working with other engineers...

You never stop learning in life. Period.

I feel like I'm really not making any progress. The job is supposed to involve programming and after being there for 2 months I am essentially a glorified PC technician. My degree is in Electrical Engineering and not once have I used it professionally (i.e. design a circuit, not that I was good at it to begin with).

Have to find a company that focuses more on Electrical Engineering. Not just general.

Forgive me. I don't have much knowledge about engineering. My ex was an electrical engineer. LOL I should have been an electrical engineer. I attended his class there were full of guys. I answered every single question the professor threw int he class. LOL The professor asked if I wanna switch major because Electrical Engineering field could use more girls.

I realize that it takes time to flourish as an engineer and find your strengths...but as of yet I feel like I haven't even hit ground zero as a starting point.

You are at level 0. Time to build up.

How? Research research research.

List what are you STRONG capabilities based on what you know.

For example, I used to be a Finance major but I switched to Business Administration.

You would hire a person Finance major instead of Business Administration because it sounds fancier and ASSUME that this person has more skills.

False. Despite the fact my degree, my strongest skill is Excel. I proved my capabilities in Excel. Now the whole corporation depends on my skill. ;] I'm a youngster in the company who is good with Excel, Math, and Technology. Been working since Summer 2010 and got hired full time by the end of graduation.

So you see, it depends on your skills and what your strengths are. Most importantly, WILLING TO LEARN, BELIEVING YOURSELF, LEARNING FROM YOUR MISTAKES, AND CONTINUE TO EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS.

My resume is being updated and I am actively seeking new employment...even though I'd like to give this place at least until the 6 month mark to see if I can "grow" anymore (despite being told by one of the senior engineers there that, unfortunately, he thinks that this particular company is definitely NOT the place for a young engineer to grow, since they don't do any sort of refinement...they just put bandaids on everything).

I'm currently studying an exam [LOL I shouldn't be on ENA at the moment, but couldn't help responding your post] based on Actuary. I'm planning to become on. So I have lots of test to go. I'm thinking about getting a Master's. Also I have to take some requirement courses as well. So I have to take all SOA exams, FSA exams for courses, and GMAT. Lots of tests.

Now, that being said....the real point is that I'm not sure if I even WANT to stay on this career path.

I think it's more the company you are working at is what you are debating.

Research other companies, update your resumes, and expand your skills.

List the things you want and need out of your life. Once you do that, you will become self-aware and realization.

I

recently went through a BU that has been seriously making me re-evaluate my situation as far as my values, goals, ambition, etc...She was such a free spirit and I became almost envious of that. There was a point where I was considering saying "to hell with it" and becoming a bartender or just focusing on music....and joining a band some day.

That's not a good idea. To have one without the other.

Why can't you have both?

For example, despite the fact i'm working to become an Actuary, I still want to become a humanitarian. So I'm being both.

Why can't you do engineer while bartend and focus on music as well? LOL You can have it all, buddy. Stop limiting yourself.

Sounds very whimsical, I know. I think my dilemma is that I never truly identified my passion in life.

I disagree. YOU NEVER TRULY get to know who you really are and what you want and need out of your life. Been living autopilot.

Yes I've always had an affinity for math and science, and I always will....but I feel like my 20's were "wasted" on focusing on just engineering and that now I won't have a chance to experience going down these other paths.

Excuses will DO NOTHING for you. TAKING ACTIONS toward what you want and need will.

My plans are to go back to school and take a few classes just to whet my appetite again for learning and see where it takes me. Ideally I'd like to get my masters..but now I'm not sure if that's truly what I want to do.

CREATE A CAREER PLAN or a LIFE PLAN. That should lay a key to your answer somehow.

I suppose if I was in a better job situation where I felt like I was progressing I wouldn't have these feelings...but today is today and this is where I'm at.

This because today is today doesn't mean it's going to last forever.

It's not the environment. It's not the people. IT'S WHAT YOU DO.

;] Seems like you're just sitting there looking pretty and waiting for the world to change. Not going to happen, Princess.

Time to do something.

I've even considered a transition perhaps into software or web development...something more artistic...but still using my engineering "skills".

THERE'S AN IDEA!

I guess I'm just lost!

Any advice is appreciated.

CREATE A LIFE PLAN SERIOUSLY.

You won't be lost anymore.

Watch youtube videos. BE INSPIRED.

Watch movies. BE INSPIRED.

Read about people's struggles and challenges life. BE INSPIRED.

Word of advice: ALWAYS THINK and KNOW that you have a special SKILL/GIFT that 6.9 billion will need and want and YOU CAN HELP by using the special skill/gift instead of wasting it. Learn ADJUSTMENT and learn MORE about who you are. Most importantly, what makes you truly happy.

And good luck!

Thanks, The_Seeker, and I don't think you're insensitive!

The "plan" for my engineering path has always been in place...start small...build skillset...branch out...make contributions to science/technology through my work.

I suppose in the great picture this is more of a "hey I don't have forever to figure out what I want to do anymore" type of situation. I definitely need to stop making excuses and just DO what I want to be happy.

When I do go back to school I'd at least like to take away a certificate in programming to bolster my engineering background and help make me more marketable. I also will use that opportunity to explore more of my musical side and see where that takes me.

Why can't you do engineer while bartend and focus on music as well? LOL You can have it all, buddy. Stop limiting yourself.

Couldn't agree with you more!

The BU definitely put me down in the dumps and the job isn't helping...but I know for a fact that I can make these changes and that something good will come of it.

;] Seems like you're just sitting there looking pretty and waiting for the world to change. Not going to happen, Princess.

LOL. Good line. Again, I agree. Sometimes I just need someone to grab me by the shoulders and shake me. Now is the time for action. Not words.

Thanks, The_Seeker, and I don't think you're insensitive!

You should read some of my latest posts. One poster thought I was ripping the OP into shreds when he said he doesn't know why he is not being affectionate at all. [rolls eyes] Anyway off topic.

The "plan" for my engineering path has always been in place...start small...build skillset...branch out...make contributions to science/technology through my work.

Not a bad plan at all. But make sure you have confidence. But confidence I don't mean like "I can do this" or whatever.

I mean like IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER, LOOK FOR IT. IF YOU NEED HELP, DON'T BE ASHAME TO ASK FOR HELP.

I suggest watching some of these inspiring films.

- Pursuit to Happyness

- The Karate Kid

- Legally Blonde

- Kung Fu Panda

I suppose in the great picture this is more of a "hey I don't have forever to figure out what I want to do anymore" type of situation. I definitely need to stop making excuses and just DO what I want to be happy.

AMEN, BROTHER!

I have that mindset too and I'm only 23.

Exactly! Do what makes you happy! Remember, you can have it all! Like you said, you like music. Don't give that up either. It's another skill. If you like making web sites, it's another skill.

When I do go back to school I'd at least like to take away a certificate in programming to bolster my engineering background and help make me more marketable. I also will use that opportunity to explore more of my musical side and see where that takes me.

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

Don't worry about type of school or brand it is. Worry about the quality of the course. I learned my lesson throughout my educational life.

When I'm applying for MBA, I'm going to make sure I go study under the RIGHT TEACHER not brand school or the name of the course to make me appear more marketable.

Just make sure you know your stuff THAT'S WHAT MAKES YOU MORE MARKETABLE. Not what's on paper.

If you can't do the skills that you list on paper, then you are not marketable. ;] Remember that.

Couldn't agree with you more!

The BU definitely put me down in the dumps and the job isn't helping...but I know for a fact that I can make these changes and that something good will come of it.

That's the positive attitude.

People came out of the Great Depression. ;] You can become like the United States who got out of Depression. [The past Great Depression. Not the current one.]

LOL. Good line. Again, I agree. Sometimes I just need someone to grab me by the shoulders and shake me. Now is the time for action. Not words.

Nah, not someone to shake you to give you a wake-up call.

You just need someone to talk to and you didn't have anyone.

I'm glad I could help.

And good luck!

Archived