Supervisor went against my will again -- say something or let it slide (again)?

zccr3279

I have a major dilemma, so I'll try and make this as brief as possible:

• I've been with this company for 2.5 years (to date).
  • By degree, I'm a civil engineer w/concentration in bridges. but I got hired as a software programmer for bridge (civil engineer) software out of school. It's definitely not typical for engineers to be programmers -- more like a rarity.
  • I did programming for about 10 months after my hire date.
  • I was then reassigned (temporarily) to bridge inspection work to fill a void for a project. The bridge inspection work ended up lasting about 11 months with a few random weeks of programming until my yearly review.
  • During my Feb 2011 yearly review, I explained that I really liked bridge inspection (not to mention understood it very well) and wanted to stay in that field, instead of programming. Since I was hired as a programmer, I didn't say that I "hated" programming (though I did), but just said I "preferred" inspection work.
  • My supervisor said "ok" (to my surprise) and officially transferred me to inspection work.

Now, here comes the bad parts...

• Immediately after my official transfer, I was told that I had some light programming to do (Feb 2011). I figured fine (since I just dropped a bomb on them) and happily did the week's worth of programming (assuming that it would be my last). Afterward, I continued with inspection work -- we were way behind on our progress.
  • A month later (Mar 2011), they told me that there was more programming (1.5 weeks worth) that needed completed. This time, I wasn't so happy but still put on a smile and gave them no problems. It was extremely frustrating work and I was very stressed those ~2 weeks.
  • I continued working on bridge inspection stuff for the next 9 months (and getting much better at it...even leading the team and managing the projects).
  • On Monday I got word that they had 1-2 months of programming for me to do, starting on 11/28. I became very angry (inside) and have since been.

The reasons why I'm angry is because:

1. I specifically asked to no longer do programming (though I didn't spell it out) in my Feb 2011 yearly review.
  2. I have other deadlines in January and this will conflict with them and back me up.
  3. I'm going on a 10 day vacation around Christmas and know I'll be concerned about the work that will be waiting for me in January. Just a side-note -- our company doesn't care about deadlines that much and will work me from 8a to 10p if needed to get the job done. We are continuously understaffed and have been late on 12 of 14 jobs even with mandatory OT.
  4. Now I understand the economy and all, but I got shafted pretty hard on my raise for 2011. Plus I'm underpaid by about $2500/yr as a bridge inspector, $5000/yr as a programmer. And, I'm certainly underpaid given my versatility. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but compared to my co-workers, there's no comparison. Honest. And, 2 of 3 make at least $5000/yr more than I do, and they do a lousy job (and the supervisors know). The 3rd co-worker makes less than I do (-$3000/yr), and he does a decent job, too. I feel bad for him.

So, the bottom line question...do I speak up this time? For all the reasons above? Some? None? I just feel that I should say something, especially since I have other deadlines that will now be interrupted. If I had absolutely nothing to do (out of work), I could see programming for the short term. But, that's not the case here. I already mentioned about other work needing to get done, and manager said that my co-worker would be given extra work for my short absence.

Thanks!

Well you said you were hired in as a software programmer. I don't see why you are surprised that they regularly assign you to programming. And you never really told them you hated programming. You only said you preferred the bridge inspection work. So there's no way for them to realize you are getting upset over the programming assignments.

As for the money issues well that is a function of the economy. Most people are getting little to no raises these days because the economy is so bad. Most people are just thankful to have a job.

You should probably talk professionally to your supervisor and tell them what you really want to be doing and that you don't want to program anymore. They may or may not agree to this. It depends on what their workload is and their staffing.

If you are that upset you can always quit and go somewhere else if it's available. That's the ultimate trump card you have as an employee.

You were hired as a programmer and they know you can do the programming work, so they will always pawn this work off to you.

You will remain underpaid.

I would keep my eyes and ears open for openings at another Bridge Engineering company. I would only open my mind to programming if it were paying a decent amount above inspection work.

Now there was my professor in College for my masters. And the way he approached thiese issues where he knew he was being underpaid was by going to his supervisor and saying, "I need a raise." Obviously you will need to watch out, and you may expect programing to become a REGULAR part of your daily work - this is why they hired you and you do the work well. It's up to you.

Just a quick mention, I've been looking intently since March for new jobs. No luck so far. Part of my 10-day vacation will be to do some job hunting there, too. I also agree I'll always remain underpaid. It's a large corporation, so there's virtually no wiggle room in compensation. I'd even accept additional vacation time instead, but that will never happen per corporate policies. I've also started cutting my student loans down from $1000/mo to $500/mo to build for a rainy day, all at the expense of only $1600 more in interest.

So, what should my reaction be if I explain that I'd rather not do programming anymore (at all)? It sucks because I have a great working relationship with my supervisors. They seem to respect me and from what I can tell, also the little I've heard, they really appreciate my abilities. But, I'm seeing an impasse here and I would like to discuss it. As I said, especially since the programming this time will negatively affect my other project deadlines. Should I also mention that if I'm going to be toggling between jobs, I would like additional compensation? Should I be direct and somewhat firm (loosely described as "demanding")?

As others have said- you got hired to be a programmer. Yes, you were loaned out to another to another department to do the inspections, and ended up liking that more. But again, the company hired you to program.

Also- you are talking about how you got "shafted" on your pay raise, but I looked at a old thread, and you said you got a 4% pay raise at your annual review. Pretty good in this economy. How are you figuring that you are underpaid?

If you really hate programming that much, see if your company has any openings for inspectors, and ask if you can apply internally.

As others have said- you got hired to be a programmer. Yes, you were loaned out to another to another department to do the inspections, and ended up liking that more. But again, the company hired you to program.

Also- you are talking about how you got "shafted" on your pay raise, but I looked at a old thread, and you said you got a 4% pay raise at your annual review. Pretty good in this economy. How are you figuring that you are underpaid?

If you really hate programming that much, see if your company has any openings for inspectors, and ask if you can apply internally.

It's good to see that ENA responders check their sources (in reference to my older post). I agree that 4.68% is good, but I was 0.04 points (like, virtually nothing) from the next tier, which is 6.68%. Coincidence? I think not. Also, although this isn't solely about pay, I base my underpayment on several friends (similar jobs, same experience, very similar skill level) that are making several thousand higher than myself. On top of that, my research shows that programmers typically make a few thousand more above my friends...about $5000/yr total more than me. You'd think that since I was hired as a programmer, I should have started a little higher. Also, for my company's average with respect to my position, I'm also low. The company slipped these numbers, hence how I know all the brackets and pay scales. As I've come to realize, everything hinges on your initial offer...because not much can be done in a large company afterward.

Again, though, this isn't about money all that much. I've also been promised inspection field jobs for the last 1.5 years (ultimately what I want to do)...and still nothing.

I'm looking for another job, but in the meantime trying not to get steamrolled by this place. Imagine how you'd feel if your manager praised your hard work and in the same sentence told you that your fast pace and cheap rate helps "equalize" the other less-efficient employees, since you "help pay for their time." Talk about feeling used...I sure did.

Maybe my disgust is turning everything personal, like how my boss congratulated me on my work before he left on Weds, 11/23. He told me that because I do such a good job, I can "go ahead and charge Holiday for Thursday and Friday." For some reason, I just didn't laugh. I continued to work (after he left mid-day Weds) on his project that is due this coming Monday, 11/28.

Archived