Osgood-Schlatters / Servers Disease...

Hey there folks... I was just wondering... How many of you have heard of Osgood-Schlatters, and / or Servers Disease? Becuase I have them both, and in both legs / ankles... Osgood-Schlatters Disease, (OSD), is a disease in which too much physical activity on the thighs and calfs in pre-teen to teenage years causes inflamation of the tibia, (main knee joint), and a bump to form on your bone, slightly below the tibia, or kneecap. I also have Servers Disease, and it's the same thing, it's just that this is caused when your feet and calfs have too much activity, and these lump forms on the achilles tendon. Both are painful, and nomally last for 9 - 12 months... If you have heard of it, do you know anyone who has it? Have you ever had it? Do you currently have it? Please respond...

I had it, yeah, when i was around 12... I got it... It got really bad when i was 13-14... But after that, I rarely get it, I can't even remember if I have gotten a "flare-up" in like a year or so, and im 16 now.

It got so painful I couldn't even walk, but it gets better, OSD, is also caused by you bones growing faster than you joints, which causes tension.... so yeah, its more of a growth pain

Actually I'm having pains in my knee RIGHT now because of OSD. It hurts like hell. I have had it since 4th grade and now I'm in 9th...it sucks. The funny thing is now...I'm the most UN-athletic person, EVER! -haha- Yea, I know what you are going through and yes it sucks. big ones.

under*

Hmm, that's weird, the doc. told me I had it because of too much physical activity... (That's one of the reasons...)

And it does hurt, I just choose to ignore it or something when I'm working out and stuff like that... So yeah...

• 4 years later...

i am 15 and currently have severs disease. i play soccer and it just keeps coming back. i've had it for two years and it really hurts during the season in fall and winter/summer when i am running and training. My doctor said it is because the bones in your heel area are growing faster than my tendons/muscles thereforee causing tension.

It doesn't necessarily have to do with too much exercise/sports. It's when you go through a few growth spurts and your bones grow but your muscles/tendons don't have time to keep up with them. The tendons are weak and over stretched. The bump is caused by new bone growing where it's not supposed to because of all the strain from the muscles and tendons.

I'd say ice it alot, before and after exercise. A knee brace might help alleviate some of the pain. In this case, the only thing you can do is rest it, that's why doctors suggest braces and casts because then you CAN'T help but rest it.

• 5 months later...

hi,

I am 12 years old and have OSD and serveres in one heel.

My OSD seems to be ok when icing and resting but the serveres has started again.

It seems to come back and go away.

I play tons of soccer, cricket, and other sports, have you got any other tips?

Thanks, Gerald