Ugh, what's the point anymore?

I graduated college 2 years ago. Since then I continued working in the same part-time job I had in college. I got a full-time job, but was laid off due to budget cuts. Thankfully, the part-time job took me back. I have no idea what I want to do, and I'm about to turn 24. I've always excelled in school, but I have never felt a calling in life. I've considered joining the military, but they're constantly cutting people out before retirement now, and they plan on downsizing the military, making it harder to get in than it already is in this economy, especially the Air Force (my branch of choice) In fact, in speaking to a recruiter and taking the ASVAB (my scores were superb) the earliest I can get sent to basic is sometime next year. Plus, military pay is basically nothing, and the only upside are benefits and housing. It is extremely difficult to become a commissioned officer, since it involves complicated testing (done this part) and passing a selection board, etc. I am getting ready to attend a Police Reserve Academy, since I do have some interest in law enforcement. But I am an easily frustrated individual (that doesn't mean I give up, but it does mean I feel stress easily) and law enforcement is a high stress career. Being a reserve officer will help me get in with a department, but it by no means guarantees a job, and I'll have to work for free for a prolonged period of time. I've considered going back to school for a variety of things like dentistry, physical therapist, IT, etc but the amount of time and money just don't seem worth it. I've also considered IT since I'm great with computers, but I like working with people, and it just seems so impersonal. Finally, I can't stand working in a cubicle. My full-time job and internship in college nearly drove me insane with wearing a shirt and tie and sitting in this tiny space staring at computer screen, cut off from the world. I just have no idea what I want to do in life, and I'm seriously just considering giving myself till 30 to find any career. If I don't find one at that point, I'll probably just give up and let myself wither away. At least I'm not planning on marriage or children, so I suppose it doesn't matter what I do with my life. I guess I can just pursue law enforcement, and retire as early as I can. I do love to travel, and law enforcement does allow for time off to do that. Plus, the pay is decent out here (cops average 70k-100k out here in So Cal in most areas) and the new shift work basically means working alternating weeks of 3 days and then 4 days (12 hr shifts) non-consecutively. So, while the hours are indeed odd, like 6pm-6am shifts, it does give some time to get things done at home, run errands, etc. Thankfully, I have a squeaky clean record, no drugs, no DUI's, only one speeding ticket, plus my education and family members who are LEO's. I just hope I can get in, and handle the stress of the job. It's not easy dealing with the bottom feeders of society, and having a lot of the public just generally hate you. I currently deal with the public in my job right now working for a city, and I have to handle a lot of "crazies" and generally unstable homeless people, so I tend to shrug it off when people sound off at me. But can I handle 20-30 years of it?

I wanted an outside job where I got to talk to peole and have an exciting career. Believe it or not, I went to work with thoroughbred racehorses. They paid for me to travel, the work was exciting, I met a lot of famous people, they trained and paid me while I trained, and they are always hiring. I am thinking of going back there this fall. When I left there to go back to school (I traveled a lot and had just had a child, also) I was a personal assistant to a very famous trainer. It's exciting work, it's outdoors, and you have lots of adventures. The downside is you work six days per week and work very long hours, so you are tired a lot. Still, I am thinking of going back. I've ridden the horses, taken care of them, and been an assistant. The pay isn't bad, either.

I noticed you mentioned Physical Therapy. I think that's a great field, and you definitely should do some job shadowing to see if you would enjoy it. You would have no problem finding a job, and you can pretty much do it any where in the world, as long as you get the proper licensing.

It doesn't help to live in CA, which is one of the worst states for jobs in this economy. Nothing but people, retail, and government, no industry and job competition for things like admin assistant is unreal. Even the job I got with my county lasted 3 months. When I applied, I tested and then waited over 6 months for an interview. Then, boom, job gone. I've traveled around the country a little, and I even have means to go back to Europe, but Europe's crisis is as bad if not worse than here. Anyways, I'm seriously considering applying out of state anywhere, because I no longer have that many friends here, I'm not worried about relationships (took a one year detour last year with my plans due to falling "in love") and my family annoys me. Basically, I can live anywhere, so I think I'm going to just start looking out of state. Even with law enforcement, I could probably get hired out of state as a lateral/academy complete after this academy (POST training is recognized nation-wide) So it's not that bad, but I've never been that patient of an individual. I see the years slipping by, and I keep feeling like I'm not accomplishing anything here. It's always 1 step forward, 3 steps back in Cali. Other than the weather, this state offers hardly anything for me, and it will always be here for me to visit. Seriously, I'm considering places like Idaho, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Texas, Colorado, Virginia, etc. Seems like people I've known that have moved out of state find jobs in no time.

Archived