If I don't get a job soon...

I swear I may either do something that I'll regret or do something that I won't be able to regret. I am absolutely sick of sending out resumes and not getting so much as a phone call back. I am tired of looking at job postings that are little more than scams. Is it too much to ask to just get into a job that pays enough for me to live and pay my bills?

To the moderator: I didn't appreciate having one of my previous posts deleted for telling what I honestly beleived was happening to job applicants & interviewees. I really believe we're being used as props during interviews.

Sorry to say it, but this is their forum. They are free to delete anything they like, with or without a reason. If they want to delete one of your posts just because they feel like it - they are quite within their rights to do so. Does not even have to break any rule either.

It is one thing you just have to accept being on a public forum. And questioning it, will only provoke them to delete more of your posts, or have your account banned.

I see you are from my neck of the woods, and I totally understand how you're feeling. I keep looking at career builders and other job websites wondering where the real jobs are? They just want people to work for free all over the place, it's sickening. You must realize that for every "real job" out there about 200+ people are applying. What can you offer the company that they are going to? Think about that question and make sure it's in your cover letter. Granted I need to take my own advice as I am looking for work myself. But keep your chin up, things will turn around eventually and don't do anything rash that will cause you trouble in the future.

I'm in fear that it may be too late for me when and if this turns around. I'm struggling to pay my rent as it is, and buying enough food for the week is getting harder and harder with the small amount of unemployment I get. It's getting to the point where I can't walk to Target without contemplating lashing out at an executive or doing myself in. This isn't a life anymore.

As far as job searching. Obtaining a job is less about what jobs are available and more about your determination to get the job.

For instance, dont put all your eggs into one basket. Dont have one job search website, google for them all.

Tailor your resume and cover letter for each individual job you are applying for. You are unemployed. That means you have the time to do this. If you are applying for a desk job, alter your resume to make you look better for that specific position. Then create a cover letter specific to that job. Do your research on the company and add a few bits of information about the business you are applying for.

Same can be said for on the spot resume distribution. Dress appropriately for the business - as if you can walk in off the street and start working 5 mins later. (yes i know that wont ever happen, but its to make that impression)

Sell yourself. Imagine yourself in their shoes. You know what the employer wants, so make sure you appear to be everything they are after. If the job needs x y and z, have an answer for each of those with some form of evidence so you have an answer to all those requirements.

I could go on, but this is long enough.

At this point, I would take just about anything. I'm not sure what kind of town or city you live in (tourist, retirement, etc) but you gotta look for those jobs that lose people quite often.

For instance, I work at a Best Western, I live in a tourist town and college town, so we go through a LOT of employees. I've been there since April and already I'm just about at the top of the chain there. It's not the best pay, but I love it there. It is the first job I've had that I actually look forward to going to. So try these types of places, where they tend to have a lot of students working, odds are they're always looking for someone that they feel will stay a while and not until the end of Summer.

Speaking of cover letters, one thing I find when looking at resumes is that I appreciate the cover letters that contain a bullet list in the body of the text. The other ones I am more inclined to skim over, whereas the ones with bullets I may actually read.

It's a joke. I apply for jobs that I qualify for, I customized the cover letter to the requests in the advertisement, and the only response I ever get is a postcard that says "Thanks for applying. Unfortunately, the field was competitive, with over 3,342 applicants, and we have chosen someone else." After a while it gets soul crushing.

I have a job incidentally, just looking for a better one.

Archived