Unsure of what to do?

bluey

Ok so im 22, i'm stuck in a job atm that i really hate. My one dream for the past 5 or 6 years has been to join the army, i've thought long and hard about the risks involved and in my head its all i want to do. Acheiveing this dream will mean i have to be very fit. Atm my job takes up allot of my time, its very stressfull and very tiring and i'm finding it hard to make the time to get in shape.

I realise the army will be 1000x more stressfull and tiring but in the army i will eat live and breath fitness. Everyday i go to work i come home shattered and unmotivated to do anything and i can feel my dreams slipping further and further away. What i'm considering doing is quitting my job and being unemployed for a few months to get myself in shape. I can use those 3 months to just focus on my goals and nothing else. I have enough money to support me for about 3 months. I still live at home so don't have a huge amount of bills.

I just wondered if anyone had ever been in the same situation or could give me some opinions on this? I realise its a pretty drastic thing to do but feeling my one dream getting further and further away is a bit of a killer.

I didn't think you had to be super fit to join the army, just averagely fit and then they will get you super fit? Maybe that's wrong though.

I think it's good to have a goal, and if this is what you want to do, maybe talk to a careers adviser in your area? In your local library perhaps?

You shouldn't need to prepare for it really and if you don't smoke then you should be fine. I've had a few friends go into the army with out being in shape, all made it through basic training and come out in pretty good shape at end of it.

See if you can run 1.5 miles in under 10 minutes, Army doesn't use beep testing like Police or Fire Service. If you can then I would say you're good to go.

Do you have enough for a reasonably good gym? They're £30-50 a month generally. The gym can be good at keeping up motivation, they'll also build you a fitness plan for free based on where you need to be in 3 months. Get as much guidance on entrance fitness as possible from the specific regiment.

Many of my family are in the army (Scots regiments), they are all highly respectable people with stable families. I think it's a great career for the right type of person. Provided that:

1) you're willing to kill people

2) loud bangs don't freak you out

3) you never want to be rich!

You are 22, follow your dream.

See if you can run 1.5 miles in under 10 minutes, Army doesn't use beep testing like Police or Fire Service. If you can then I would say you're good to go.

I agree with this, about 10mins and you should be good. Some regiments require some weight lifting tests too so make sure you check.

Obviously the fitter you are when you join the better though.

I realise the army will be 1000x more stressfull and tiring but in the army i will eat live and breath fitness. Everyday i go to work i come home shattered and unmotivated to do anything and i can feel my dreams slipping further and further away.

How do you know you will be so into fitness then, if you aren't now? Especially when the fitness is a core part of your dream, and provided you put the work in, easily achieved.

Getting fit will also help with the stress you get from your job and keep you feeling motivated.

If you really want it, get up and do it. You have to fight the tiredness at first, but soon you will be waiting to get home and go work out.

If you want to be told how to spend every minute of your day, join the military. My dad was in the Army when he was young and hated it because he had no freedom. How important is freedom to you? They moved him around from country to country on a whim, told him what job he'd be doing, etc. May sound exciting but I think it sounds awful.

The military and fitness both come down to one thing - discipline. Both internally and externally. The military can teach you both if you are willing to learn. It not easy though. As to getting fit before hand, I wouldn't quit your day job. No matter how fit you think you are once in the Army they will break you down. That's part of the deal. Break you down to build you back up. Moderate fitness is fine entering the Army. I think you'd be better served keeping your job and learning the discipline to work-out when you don't want to and/or have no motivation. You build up some self-discipline and things will progress much easier - including joining the Army. Good luck! The military isn't for everyone but with the right attitude it can be a very positive experience.

Archived