Friendship dilemma

Ministottie

I am a little embarressed by this but anyway. Currently in my life I have no friends that I go out with, or even speak to on a regular basis. When everyone went off to uni they made new friends and left me behind. I made a few friends but none serious (best friends etc). My boyfriend has raised this issue with me recently and says it would be healthier if I made some proper friends but I just don't feel the need for them.

So yeh, my question is, how do I go about making a couple of close friends? I lost mine over a year ago. I guess it would be nice to have someone to talk to other than my partner once in a while.

Thanks

I'd try voulenteer work or school clubs. They are generally nice people outgoing and easy to talk to. You can also organize a friendly get together with the few friends you do have. Go to the movies and then grab a quick bite to eat with them while you talk about the movie or other things.

Then again maybe you shouldn't take advice from me. I don't have any friends nor do I have a girlfriend or anyone really. I have my reasons though.

I totally feel where you're coming from - I have been in that position a few times due to relocating or just people moving on with life, it can be hard when you've been out of practice.

One thing I would say is that if you don't meet people you connect with immediately don't get disheartened - it can take a little while to meet folk on the same wavelength, and you can always go to things you're invited to by people you don't necessarily connect with that well and meet people from there. If you feel comfortable enough with the people asking, don't turn down invitations! Also people you didn't expect to get on that well with can really surprise you, they're not necessarily as they first appear! Good and bad!

I would second the above advice and join things that you're interested in or would just like to try, don't be afraid to ask people if they want to do something. Often something doesn't happen because no'one asks, this happens especially if people do already have a set of friends and don't have the same motivation to make an effort. That doesn't mean that your invitation won't be welcome - just give it a go and see where it takes you!

Best of luck - I hope you meet some good folk!! xx

Archived