it makes me feel like a failure.

I study as i should, do all of my work on my own, and turn things in on time... I actually put effort into what i'm doing, yet somehow i still can't manage to get A's.

i feel like i'm not cut out for this, but what's even worse, i feel like i'm a failure in my mom's eyes. I never tell her what i get on my essays or any assignments, because she sees me doing my work, and i still fall short. i don't understand it, in highschool i was lazy and LAZZZZY and hardly ever even showed up, but i would still get all a's and some b's...

i got to college in hopes of attaining skills which will provide a decent job so i can help my mom and dad out in the future, in gratitude for all the hard work they've done in this life... but i feel so down. I hardly have motivaton, i don't have long term goals, only short term goals to get A's or B's... but no amount of studying grants me that

idk what to do, i get so sad... i feel like i'm letting my parents down and like i cant compare to my classmates...

and it's embarrassing because most of them are in their late 20's and 30's and haven't been to school for years, and i got out of advanced placement classes, in which i did well in... i feel like the classes i'm taking are easy, but everything i learned in highschool AP classes, these professors don't care for

i'm confused...

what is there for me to do, especially now that i'm hardly motivated

and last night, a friend [no longer a friend]

asked me if i'd go watch him in his high school play,

and i told him "i can't, i'm so busy these days"

he responded to me "YEAH LIKE I BELIEVE THAT"

and i said "i am busy, i'm in college, things change"

and he then tells me "a friend of mine went last night and she goes to a university, not some STUPID community college"

yeah, wow..that was a low a ss blow, especially since i worked really hard to get a year scholarship to this school.

and after i told him how rude and unnecessary that comment was, he went off on me, threw things in my face that i had confided in telling him about my personal like, and then started preaching about God and what now and blamed me for everything, claimed that i see only the faults of others and never my own.. ect ect, it was so off the topic and out of line. he really hurt my feelings, and i honestly did nothing to him what so ever, i hadn't even spoken to him in like 3 months, and i haven't seen him in person in almost 8..... it was ridiculous, but it still really hurt me

i feel like i have very little value in this world

That was really rude of your ex friend to say. I'm in a CC and it's a lot of work no doubt. Do the best you can and things will be ok, I promise. We are told that if we don't get straight A's and be in the top percentiles that are lives are over and we'll never amount to anything. That's simply not true. Get your degree and you'll be fine.

I know how you feel! In some classes, I will always get a B or hell, even a C. Getting A's pretty hard because they bell-curve quite a bit at times. The thing is not about how hard you study, but how you study. If your school had a learning center, perhaps you could go and ask for help/tips. If you can access old midterms and finals, that's a really good way too. There should be a writing center to help you out with your essay writing.

Whenever you get an assignment back, go through what you did wrong and then speak to your professors so you don't make the same mistake again. It's about progress. Sure there are geniuses who gets As in college without trying, but they are rare. It's about focus and hardwork.

Oh and a little tid bid, most people lie about how often they study (they study more than they claim) / and of course over inflate their grades.

College is tough, I'm back in and I never studied the first time around. Got a couple D's that have completely screwed over my GPA these days but I have to work my tail off to get B's and C's and occassionaly and A is thrown in there but those are rare. I aim for an A in every class and get a B sometimes even a C. If I do actually get the A I'm amazed these days but take advantage of the services the school may have for writing, see the professor for help, the TA's whomever you need to. They're paid to be there make use of them. I study a lot, I relax and play to. It's called scheduling. I book it on my off weekends usually so I can relax on my daughter weekends and focus on her not worry about homework. You'll make it, you just have to learn to work and learn to relax. Gain a balance so then you aren't burned out in the end.

I'm sorry about your ex-friend. But, who needs friends like that, anyways?

College is tougher, no doubt. It seems like, in high school, A's are almost expected if you put in a half-way decent amount of effort. Because high schools are evaluated based on how many of their students go on to college, it's in their interest to grade easy.

My experience is that some community colleges are actually tougher than some universities. So, don't beat yourself up. After I transferred, school actually got easier -- although, don't necessarily count on that, either.

I like the recommendation of visiting a tutoring center or something. Contrary to popular belief, tutoring isn't just for dummies. I tutored physics (so if it's math or physics you're having trouble with, by all means let me know), but occasionally I'd have a top-notch student show up for tutoring. One of my students actually had the highest grade in the class -- he simply showed up to tutoring to understand the material even better. Many showed up because they wanted an A instead of a B. Still, others did show up just to pass.

But, most tutoring centers run through a college are free, so why not take advantage of them? (Just the same, teachers have office hours, so you may take advantage of that, too. Often enough, it's the A students who visit teachers' office hours.)

Also, can you work on your assignments with others? I had a study group for most of my classes, and it was really beneficial. Not only did it help me in the class, it was a lot of fun, and I gained some really good friends from it.

Lastly, good grades help to get a job, but they're not essential. Developing good work ethic, and involving yourself in extracurricular activities, internships, et cetera, will go much farther.

Good luck!

Well, no. CCs are not tougher than universities. I went to a good CC, thought it was pretty easy, graduated with a 3.9GPA, made Dean's List, graduated with high honors, and thought I had college licked. I transferred to a private 4-year-college and almost died from shock. Toxic work loads and the standards were so much higher! I survived and ended up graduating with a high GPA there, but not a 3.9! CC are not that hard, it's just that you are taking so many different types of classes. When you transfer out, you are mainly taking classes in your major. So in that way it's easier, but the workload is way, way, more.

Well, no. CCs are not tougher than universities. I went to a good CC, thought it was pretty easy, graduated with a 3.9GPA, made Dean's List, graduated with high honors, and thought I had college licked. I transferred to a private 4-year-college and almost died from shock. Toxic work loads and the standards were so much higher! I survived and ended up graduating with a high GPA there, but not a 3.9! CC are not that hard, it's just that you are taking so many different types of classes. When you transfer out, you are mainly taking classes in your major. So in that way it's easier, but the workload is way, way, more.

You can't say that as a general statement. It depends both on the community college and the university, but there are cases where the community college is tougher. (Although I'll admit, probably a majority of the time university is more difficult.)

I went to three different community colleges, and then transferred to a state university. One of the community colleges was significantly tougher. Granted, it was one of the top community colleges in California, and most of its students ended up going to top schools like UC Berkeley. Another community college was about the same, and the third much easier than university.

Now, it may be that my university was easy. However, our engineering program is well-respected. And as a tutor there, I noticed that the math, physics and lower-division engineering classes covered much less material, assigned about the same amount of homework, and had easier exams. At the toughest community college I took physics three semesters and tutored it for two (with one semester overlapping), and at my university I tutored physics for six semesters, so I'm pretty familiar with the differences.

Now, it may also be that my community college just happened to be an exception. When we went to visit Stanford's Linear Accelerator lab, all of the physics professors at Stanford knew and highly regarded our professor. Even still, there are around a dozen community colleges that rank even higher than this one, nationwide.

Awe, well thank you everyone. I didn't think english had a tutoring center, i thought only every other material did lol

anyway yeah i'm pretty bummed at the remarks that were made but hopefully i'll get over it.

is it true the if you go to a ghetto area it's easier?

that's what my sister's boyfriend said.. he's an interesting character -_-"

Archived