Are there legitimate ways to make money when out of work?

Aries73

It's been close to 7 months without work for me. Things are about as desperate as it can get. UI is allowing me to barely survive, but I need more than just being able to stay in my apartment. I've thought about doing online surveys, but never got a response when I registered at one site. I tried selling plasma many years ago, but I didn't and do not have a doctor who can clear me for it.

I'd really like to know if there are any alternative ways of making money that doesn't involve MLM or other scams. Being on unemployment this long is almost soul-robbing and it seems every company is determined to stage fake interviews and hire no one.

Unfortunately, virtually all legit online careers will not give you an adequate income, at least initially. Writing for money, for example, takes enormous amounts of time and energy in order to grow your contacts and marketability. As for surveys, don't. I've found them to be largely a waste of time. Even the honorable ones delay your payments for quite a while

Yeah, fake job ads are way too prevalent now. I know of a local business that claims to be in desperate need of workers, yet have taken their sweet time about filling these positions for half a year, and in an area rife with workers no less.

Since you mentioned you own an apartment, ever considered getting a room mate to split the bill?

I got layed off awhile ago and have been forced to live on UI as well.

There are always legit ways to make extra cash. I am big into fashion so I know good deals when I see them. I buy stuff at goodwill and TJ Max/Ross type store and sell it on ebay. I have sold 100's of items there and I make about an extra 3 to 400 a month that way. There is always crap to sell on ebay. Just keep your eye's peeled.

Though I am not proud of it, I also do webcam modeling on and off.

At first, as much as I hate to admidt it, I applied for food stamps. That saved me from falling behind on bills big time. I felt like a bum having to apply but I figured I am going to be paying taxes until the day I die so I might as well take advantage of it.

I'm in a studio apartment, so trying for a roomate is out.

I don't know what your needs are in relation to the studio, but sometimes it's best to abandon ship. Start getting in touch with people, family perhaps, who may help in giving you a roof over your head and consider this advice carefully.

We're in a depression right now, and the storm is far from over...

Have you heard about Brighthub? They pay for articles. I mean, I know they do because they always pay me and are 100% legit. You're paid 10 bucks plus money from views for each article. Articles are about 450 words long.

Now if you write fast enough and know your topic you can easily dish out two articles an hour which is 20 bucks an hour. It's not great but it's better than nothing. Also, on you have enough articles, you just get money from views without doing anything.

The website is growing bigger and bigger and so are the views. Right now, I'm making 6 bucks monthly from views but I've made about 700$ writing articles I think.

Good luck to you.

Yeah, surveys are just not worth it. The time you'll be wasting just finding a survery will be ridiculous.

About BrightHub,

You can write about loads of topics, like computers, software, education, language learning... you name it.

The Video Game channel is quite popular. People post their guides and cheats and whatever for games. You can also do game reviews.

The neat thing is that, for most other websites, you'd do the review for free and you'd have the hosting website rack in the cash for your efforts (through advertisement).

There's really no reason to write stuff for other websites in my opinion. I've looked all over the net and it's really the best way to make cash quickly.

The is sooooooooooooooooooooo much scam on the net, empty promises and all kind of crap, it's just really hard to find something promising.

The other advantage of BrightHub is that you can work from any countries. So countries with a weaker currency than the US (like me) benefit from the exchange rate. For Chinese for example, transferred in their currency, 10 dollar US is more than 60 RMB which is quite a lot (taking the bus costs 1 RMB and eating a pretty good meal at the restaurant more or less 12 RMB). It's a lot more money than they would make hourly by working in their own countries.

Anyways, it's not great but it's reliable.

May I add that there are also opportunities in telemarketing?
No matter how bad your life is, that's not a reason to become a telemarketer and make other people's lives miserable too. Please don't succumb to this temptation. I know there are special skills you can do that no one else can. Computer tutoring, old-age person's assistant or aide; proofreading; helping people with resumes, etc. You can start by charging very very little just to see if you can do it/people like you/you like doing it. If you turn out to be good at it it may become a new specialty.

Archived