Organisational culture and workplace cliques

So I work in a large organisation - which is great for networking because you get to meet a lot of people who are in your field.

One thing which has been troubling me though is that there is a clique, and I'm not in it.

There are plenty of other people who I can talk to and get on good terms with, but I feel that the centre of power is in the clique. These are a group of about 15 go getters, motivated, going to go far, and they reinforce one another's power by promoting one another, and being friends and allies to one another.

I'm just concerned that the fact that I'm not in that clique is going to ultimately hold me back in my career. Decrease my visibility, deprive me of valuable leads to opportunities for career development, and weaken my power should I wish to step up to more of a leadership role.

Any thoughts on this? Do I have a future in an organisation where I'm not in with the power clique?

These people are mostly young (late 20s), so I think they're carrying through the whole highschoolish inclusion/exclusion BS. But the fact is, they're a talented bunch. Smart, likeable, ambitious, and connected.

Should I look at moving to another organisation sooner rather than later? or does this stuff not matter so long in the long run.

Cliques in work are incredibly annoying and, to be honest, rather childish.

However if the company is bit and there's 15 of these guys, presumably there must be a way to work round them? You could try and get yourself involved in projects that don't report through them

What have you done to be included in the clique? What have you done that has not been effective?

I worked at a company like that and you are right it is very high school. I was in my early 20s at the time and not included. I just didn't have the social skills back then to play the game properly. It didnt' hurt my career but it was not a good feeling working there so I can relate.

I disagree that these cliques or inner circles are high school or childish. They can be but those aren't the ones with any kind of power. The reality is competence attracts competence. In every single work place I have ever been in the smart people stick together. You said yourself that they are talented, smart, likable, ambitious and connected, so they are holding power for a reason.

I like waveseer's advice, show competence and excel. The longer you work together the easier it will be to break into the "clique", so unless you feel like you are actively being held back I wouldn't worry about it much yet. Of course, having other employment options open is never a bad idea.

I like waveseer's advice, show competence and excel. The longer you work together the easier it will be to break into the "clique", so unless you feel like you are actively being held back I wouldn't worry about it much yet. Of course, having other employment options open is never a bad idea.

Yeah, I liked waveseer's advice too. Simple but good. And I think I am gaining a reputation for my strengths as time goes on.

As for breaking into the clique, I don't know that's going to happen any time soon. My exclusion is a result of one guy, a very well liked guy, who's kind of at the nexus of it all, and he wants me excluded. I got on the wrong side of him a year and a half ago, and he's done everything in his powers to weaken and marginalise me. He's done' it very cleverly, so his spottless image as a person who's nice to everyone is still intact.

So looking elsewhere is looking sensible. Once I build up more skills and experience. It's a big loss though, because it's the best place to work in my field, in my town that is. It's the kind of place you can go far if you stick around. And even if you do move on, it's the contacts you make that are a great asset for anyone who's worked there.

What can you do to get back in this guy's good graces? I am sure you have apologized but perhaps there is a work related favor you can do for him, perhaps you can invite him for lunch or coffee and see if there is some way to have a clean slate. I would be ready with at least 3 ways you can make his professional life easier or more successful (perhaps there are people you know you can introduce him to to network with, for example).

What can you do to get back in this guy's good graces? I am sure you have apologized but perhaps there is a work related favor you can do for him, perhaps you can invite him for lunch or coffee and see if there is some way to have a clean slate. I would be ready with at least 3 ways you can make his professional life easier or more successful (perhaps there are people you know you can introduce him to to network with, for example).

Unfortunately that isn't an option. I despise him, and suspect I always will. I'm looking for ways to further my career without kissing up to the person loathe. I don't think I want to go into the story here, but trust me, this bit's not negotiable.

Well, you can't like everybody, and everyone needs a nemesis I always say. I'd just keep doing what you're doing, make a name for yourself, and keep at it for as long as you can stand it because it sounds like everything else about your situation is good. You may not be able to sway this guy onto your side but others will take notice. The game is afoot!

Well, you can't like everybody, and everyone needs a nemesis I always say

I've never heard that saying. I'm curious. What does that mean? What is the value in having one?

Nemesis indeed. This arch enemy /nemesis / villain is one big ongoing thing in my life. My god, I've never spent so much time hating someone. I'm sure it's aged me, but at the same time, I'm only now beginning to see some of the positives come out of it.

I'm so much more driven and determined and less shy or timid than I was before this **#$&(%^($^_#(_%(#$%(@)%*)$*^)$%*^)$%*^ stood in my way.

I've never heard that saying. I'm curious. What does that mean? What is the value in having one?

Nemesis indeed. This arch enemy /nemesis / villain is one big ongoing thing in my life. My god, I've never spent so much time hating someone. I'm sure it's aged me, but at the same time, I'm only now beginning to see some of the positives come out of it.

I'm so much more driven and determined and less shy or timid than I was before this **#$&(%^($^_#(_%(#$%(@)%*)$*^)$%*^)$%*^ stood in my way.

I like to think I made that saying up. You're describing pretty much what I think it means to have a nemesis. Someone or something that blocks your progress, makes life difficult and forces you into action, makes you stand up for yourself and the things you believe in. The way I see it we all need conflict to drive us, to test our boundaries, though it's a fine line between letting it ruin our lives or using it to overcome our difficulties. Having a nemesis focuses conflict, gives us an easily recognizable face for us to overcome.

So you've become more driven, determined, less shy, those are good things but don't let the hate run rampant and age you. That might be a little too much hating. A little trick I use is to think of my nemesis as a caricature, a cartoon representation of all the things you hate about them magnified to ridiculousness. I then find myself laughing at them more often then just hating them ... but I still want to crush them and make them cry (yes, I know I'm evil).

I have been in your situation a couple of times, with different groups of people, and what worked for me to was to find allies who were older, more mature, and willing to mentor me.

Since you are in a large organization, this shouldn't be too difficult. You can start by talking to your supervisor and showing you want to grow as an employee. You don't have to specifically state what is happening, since you don't want to come accross as someone who acts like a victim or blames others. You want to be a team player.

Usually the individuals who are in their 20s who are acting like high schoolers are very insecure. So don't let them get to you. Have compassion for them instead. Hold your head high and remind yourself that you can succeed even if you are excluded from this group. This is just one clique in a larger organization and they don't control you or have power over you.

Fight back by doing the best work you can, getting noticed by the senior staff, and working to improve your environment. In my experience, you will find that if you take on more of a leadership role, many of those in the clique will come to respect you and be more willing to include you. But remember - you can decide who you include in YOUR inner circle. You don't need to kiss up to anyone, although it doesn't hurt to be kind, respectful, and professional to everyone.

I like to think I made that saying up.

I'm going to add this to my collection of favorite quotes.

Thanks Stella, thanks Antrhopoc. Both really sound advice. I appreciate it. And actually I've heard that a common thread amongst the world's greatest leaders and achievers is that one niggling voice in their head from an unsupportive familiy member, or teacher or whatever that they've been fighting against.

Archived