How am I supposed to find a job now...

So I got laid off a couple weeks ago. I was working as an oilfield engineer, and I was given a company truck due to the crazy amount of driving I had to do. When I was hired, I was driving a piece of junk Chevy Prizm, so I went ahead and sold it off for a few bucks. That was about a year ago, but now, I'm without a vehicle, and unemployed. I could afford a car, but it would require me to basically empty all of my accounts and savings. I have a great bike, and I live in Houston so we've got buses here, so I do have ways to get around. It's just frustrating enough that it's so hard to find a job right now, but also that I might have to show up to an interview covered in sweat from riding my bike. Has anyone been in a similar situation...and while I'm here, does anyone have career advice for recent engineering grad? Thanks guys...

I'd take the city bus until you find a job. I don't think it would be a good idea to empty your bank account into a car when you just lost your job! At least wait until you get a new job before buying a new car

• 1 month later...

Take the bus. I live in a big city with public transportation and don't own a car. I get to work everyday - and did all my interviews - via bus and train. Yes, it can be a pain to have to leave hours beforehand to make sure you get there on time, and on hot days it can leave you feeling a bit frazzled, but it's cheap and it gets the job done.

Taking a cab in Houston would cost $30 mininum, just to get in the car. It takes an hour to drive accross the city. And our bus system is so sparse it takes half a day and six buses to get accross town. Almost everyone drives here.

stratguy, are you still around?

Archived