It seems everyone likes me but the one I like

Well, my problem seems to be quite the conundrum. I am 16 years old but as a rule act more like I am 40 years old. I talk as if I have enjoyed 40 years of experience at life, am well versed in the nature of human nature and have the ability to figure anything out. I can do anything and everything, and talk about it like I am an expert, in some cases, I really am an expert. I have more skills under my belt at 16 than ost people that are in their 20's. As a result of this, I get along better with adults because our maturity level is one in the same. That's where the problem seems to be.

I have been told by many many people that I carry myself well in adult situations and thereforeeeeeee, they (the adults) all like me. Every one of them that I meet. I am constantly complimented on my abilities and accomplishments, to no end. My issue is, I am not sure if the girl I like, or any girlsI know for that matter, like me. I am not sure if I come off as a smart ass because I know everything or if it's just because I am probably the most mature person in my grade. I am always doing gentlemanly things and am not sure how it comes accross. I think that sometimes, they are thinking that I am not a good person to be with just becasue I come accross as a know-it-all, when in reality, I don't talk about something until I have done my reaserch, which I always do, and I subsequently remember everything, thereforeeeeeee, when I talk about that subject, i for the most part do know it all.

Please give me some insight into this situation, if you can. It is really bothering me and I wondered if you had any ideas for me.

Thanks,

John

I don't wanna be really rude or anything but you do kinda come off as (to say the way you put it) a smart-ass. If only by the fact that you said "because I know everything", or "I have more skills under my belt at 16 than ost people that are in their 20's". You really can't say something like that. The truth of it is that you only have so much experience in life. Nothing can compare to having experience.

I find girls don't really dig guys who are over over confident in an over the top kind of way. And maybe you shouldn't make it a point to try and be like you're forty. Sure that'll get respect from some people who are older than you but young people just wanna have fun and that reflects the people they wanna hang out with.

I have a friend like you who acted very grown-up all the time and was good at a lot of things. But he never got a lot of luck with girls his age. So after he hung out with me and my friends for awhile he really loosened up and now hes a lot happier for it (and his girlfriend).

Basically it seems you might wanna loosen up, you'll have plenty of time to be forty when you're forty. Try and be sixteen for a while. You have about eight or ten years of your life to be young and crazy and do pretty much whatever you can get away with. Don't blow those years by trying to grow up.

Hi John,

You had me puzzled about this for a bit, but I think I can come up with something for you. I agree to superhero that there's time enough to be forty when it actually IS that time.

I can somewhat relate to the situation you are in, because I recognize parts of you I had when I was your age. I don't agree with superhero, saying that you 'sound' like a smart ass, even though he didn't mean it in a rude way. I like the term ' being self aware' a lot better. I think that's nothing to worry over.

Now my suggestion: my suggestion is that you try to force yourself into fun things. Walk up a girl you like and give her a few compliments. Talk to some people and just smile a lot. That will built your confidence in socializing. On a final note: don't be afraid of rejection. There's always people that really don't like you or can't work with you. Surround yourself with friends that respect you for who you are.

I wish you good luck

~ SwingFox ~